CNCShark with 3d cut

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

aaronoverholser

CNCShark with 3d cut

Post by aaronoverholser »

I just purchased the shark pro plus. I have used the Vcarve Pro for cutting some lettering and now I need to do some production of parts. I used my cad software (Sketchup) to draw the part, then exported the 3d model as a DXF file. Next I loaded this into 3d cut. All this worked great, but on the last step of the process in 3D cut I don't see CNCShark listed as an option for a post processor as I used in the Vcarve Pro.

Am I just supposed to use a different processer off of the list? or can I not use the 3D cut software?

Speedy response much appreciated!

Thanks, Aaron

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: CNCShark with 3d cut

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Aaron,

The first thing you'll need to do is to copy the 2 post processor files that you downloaded from the Next Wave Automation download site to the PostP folder for the Cut3D application - typically something like C:\Program Files\Cut3D\PostP. This is the same process you did with the VCarve Pro application. Be sure not to use the Photo VCarve post processors that are also available from that site.

The rest of the workflow is mostly straight forward. You can look at this post - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=382 - for a more detailed outline. Just replace VA3D with Cut3D in your case.

Hope this helps.

aaronoverholser

The problem is I don't recall downloading Post processor files for Vcarve pro, When I went to select a tool path from that program it was already there. CNCShark_arc_inch. or something like that .

So when I go to Cut 3d this is not on the list, I tried going to the Next Wave site todownload it like you said, but I couldn't make this happen. Could you make it more clear please?

Thanks for you patience

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Aaron,

In the paper manual that came with the Shark, there is mention of going to the Next Wave Automation website to download software and the post processor file. This pdownload age can be found here - http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx. You're looking for the section shown in the photo.
Next Wave Downloads - Post Processor Section
Next Wave Downloads - Post Processor Section
In your case, I strongly recommend you copy these 2 files to both your VCarve Pro and Cut3D installation in the \PostP folder for each.

Yes, a CNC Shark in post processor shows up after installing VCarve Pro. However, it is not the most recent one. This and some other tips that aren't necessarily directly covered in the CNC Shark manual can be found in an older post here - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260 - along with several other lessons learned in post throughout the forum.

Patience is no problem - glad to be able to return the help I've received...

Bob

Post by Bob »

aaronoverholser wrote:I just purchased the shark pro plus. I have used the Vcarve Pro for cutting some lettering and now I need to do some production of parts. I used my cad software (Sketchup) to draw the part, then exported the 3d model as a DXF file. Next I loaded this into 3d cut. All this worked great, but on the last step of the process in 3D cut I don't see CNCShark listed as an option for a post processor as I used in the Vcarve Pro.

Am I just supposed to use a different processer off of the list? or can I not use the 3D cut software?

Speedy response much appreciated!

Thanks, Aaron
Aaron,
I had the same problem. I'm not real sure about the details but I think that Tim had me simply make a copy of the Vcarve Pro file that I was using that gave me the option of using the cnc shark, and then transfer this copy to the proper Cut 3D folder. I'm trying to locate that email from him and will let you know about further details. Also, it might be faster to contact him directly.

OK,
I found the email reply from Tim:

Vcarve and cut 3d use the same post processor. Just copy the Vcarve post
processor to your cut 3d folder (postP) and you should be all set. You can
also download it from our website.

Thanks

Tim

Aaron: My file was located in Local Disk C, Program Files, V Carve Pro, PostP. I simply copied it and then pasted it into Local Disk C, Program Files, Cut 3D, PostP
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

aaronoverholser

Hey Ive got it working! Thanks, just copied it into the Cut 3D program. Works great.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Isn't it nice when the solution is so simple.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)