RPM Speed

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dciliberti

RPM Speed

Post by dciliberti »

Is it better to spin small bits (.062) faster or slower when engraving wood? I'm sure there are more variables but I have snapped 2 bits already. Vetric Aspire software and DeWalt router. Thanks!

Rando

Re: RPM Speed

Post by Rando »

dciliberti wrote:Is it better to spin small bits (.062) faster or slower when engraving wood? I'm sure there are more variables but I have snapped 2 bits already. Vetric Aspire software and DeWalt router. Thanks!
In general, yes, faster RPMs are used with smaller diameter bits. But, that's like 1/10th of the story. The rotational speed combines with the linear movement speed (feedrate), the depth-of-cut (aka axial engagement), stepover (aka radial engagement), and the particulars of the material being cut, and the cutting bit. Solid carbide bits take different numbers than welded-insert carbide, different still from High Speed Steel (HSS) bits.

So, to do the numbers right takes more than just a simple rule of thumb. Are you using a Feeds & Speeds Calculator? Have you taken a read through material about F&S? The CNCCookbook.com site has tons of such information, and there are abundant F&S calculators on the 'net...many are only going to be useful with a trained eye.

Hope that gets you started...;-)

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

sharkcutup

Re: RPM Speed

Post by sharkcutup »

The G-Wizard Calculator at CNCCookbook.com has been very useful for me especially in getting Feed/Speed rates for unknown materials such as plexi-glass, etc...

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554