Post-Processor files

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NedTeach

Post-Processor files

Post by NedTeach »

Does anybody have the straight scoop on Post-Processor files for the Shark?

I have VCarve Pro 5.5, and downloaded the p-p's from the Shark website, and ended up with four different ones in my VCarve PostP folder - two for the CNC Shark that said 'arcs' in the name, that came with VCarve, and two that didn't, that were the downloads. I've been using the non-arcs ones, because they were direct from the mfg. But now I see on the Shark downloads page two new p-p's that have 'arcs' in the name, but different from the ones that came with VCarve. I'm lost. Which p-p's should I be using with VCarve Pro?

And since I'm on the topic, I see that there are also p-p's on the Shark downloads page that say they are for "PhotoCarve". Is that some different program than Vectric's PhotoVCarve? And if so, which p-ps (if any) would I use with PhotoVCarve - the VCarve Pro one's, or the PhotoCarve ones?

And finally: I'm thinking about buying Cut3D. Does it require post-processors to work with the Shark? And if so, where do I get them?

Sorry, ran on a bit. Newbie jitters. Thanks for any help!

Buc

Re: Post-Processor files

Post by Buc »

Ned,
The P-P's come installed in the V-carve and Photo-carve programs from Vectric the software Mfg. Use the CNCShark-UBSArcs(Inch)(*.tap) if you are generating tool paths made up in inches measurements, or if you use metric measurements use the (*mm). The P-P's are also in the program, no need to download.
Hope I helped you and didn't confuse you.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

chicago

Post by chicago »

Buck, Will the UBSArcs (inch)(*.Tap) work with my Shark control panel, I'm confused, is it a G-code compatible p.p. I Have an Entry level CNC Shark and Use G-Code with toolpaths that are saved as (*.tap) files, No problems with VcarvePro5.5, however i haven't been able to PhotoVcarve anything. G-Code *.Tap files load ok and run the shark but they just carve a tiny triangle. thanks

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Photo VCarve uses a different pp than VCarve. You can find it at this link (in the middle of the page):

http://nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx

Look for CNCShark-USB_GCode_Inch

Ed

tigerjoe

Post by tigerjoe »

I must have missed a step......

program files>photovcarve>postp
cncshark-usb_inch.........pp file
cncshark-usb_mm.....pp file
this is on my computer when I look in the program files

BUT
when I open the photo vcarve program, load a pic and go through the steps .....get to the point to save the toolpath.....there are no cncshark options in the postp dropdown

what should I do ??? thanks Greg

Irish7374

Post by Irish7374 »

Ed--would appreciate help with the issue of tiny triangles carving from Photo Vcarve files. I read your response to this earlier post and am having trouble finding the exact file you reference on the link you provided. The closest I find is CNCShark-USB_inch. (No G-code reference in the title.) Before I download this and possibly run into more trouble, I thought I should verify.

Also, this makes me wonder if there have been other updates I've missed. This is my first use of PhotoVcarve, and it's been frustrating because of the sizing results I'm having. Do you receive automatic notification of updates?

Thanks a bunch!
Lynn

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

This thread is a little confusing to me, so thought I’d add by $0.02.

VCarve Pro 5.5 comes with pre-installed CNC Shark post processor files (pp). However, these files, each of which are specific to the Shark, were updated by Next Wave on 9/8/2010 for use with the VCarve Pro, Cut3D and Aspire programs.

As you noticed, after installing VCarve Pro, you found CNC Shark pp files. I agree with Buc that these work – but they are not the most recent release and I chose to use the new ones.

I don’t think new pp files are included in any Vectric update – but even if they are, there’s probably a good chance that the latest one is available from Next Wave before any update from Vectric. The two manufacturer’s schedules are probably not that closely in sync.

Next Wave would have to speak to the difference – although from reading the pp file in a text editor, it looks like the most recent pp file from Next Wave can handle/address arcs – and the previous one had no indication of whether it could handle arcs or not. This may also be why the name of the latest pp files on the Next Wave site include the word “Arcs” in them as the ones installed by VCarve Pro do not.

To further cloud the issue – an entirely different set of pp files must be and can only be used with Photo VCarve. These are also available from the Next Wave Automation download page – and are conveniently located immediately below the two pp files used with VCarve, Cut3D and Aspire.
Next Wave Automation Download Page - Post Processors
Next Wave Automation Download Page - Post Processors
The Next Wave Automation Download page is http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx.

I suspect most users will only use one or the other of these pp files – not much switching between metric and English units. I only have one brand of CNC machine. So, the pick list with the default installation looks like this.
VCarve Post Processor Pick List - Default Installation
VCarve Post Processor Pick List - Default Installation
Mine now looks like this
VCarve Post Processor Pick List - Shark Only
VCarve Post Processor Pick List - Shark Only
This minimizes murphy’s law for me. And now I’ll continue this in the next post as I don’t use an online photo thing and there’s still a 3 photo limit (although the size limit has increased).

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing from last post...

To install any of these pp files, you simply go to the \Program Files\”Name”\PostP folder.

By default for a 32 bit system, for VCarve Pro for example, this would be C:\Program Files\VCarve Pro V5.5\PostP.

On a 64 bit system, this same example would be C:\Program Files (x86)\VCarve Pro V5.5\PostP

This is where you would copy the latest pp files after downloading from the Next Wave site.

If you also have VCarve Pro 6.0, or Cut3D, or Aspire, you need to repeat this copy to each application’s \PostP folder. They don’t all reference a common location.

The process is similar for Photo VCarve (c:\Program Files\PhotoVCarve\PostP), but you must use only the 2 pp files designed for Photo VCarve. The latest ones are dated 11/29/2010 on the Next Wave website.

How did I trim down the pp choices in VCarve Pro? I created a new folder, named it original, and moved all but the CNC Shark pp’s to this location (just in case I might buy another brand of CNC machine). I restarted VCarve Pro and now only 2 pp choices are available.
VCarve Pro PostP Folder On Disk - Shark Only PP files
VCarve Pro PostP Folder On Disk - Shark Only PP files
I did the same for Photo VCarve (again, these 2 pp files are different from the 2 used with VCarve Pro, Aspire, and Cut3D).
Photo VCarve PostP Folder On Disk - Shark Only PP files
Photo VCarve PostP Folder On Disk - Shark Only PP files
My machine is 64 bit, so the programs are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\.... Again, if you don’t see this, and “only” have a C:\Program Files – look there for VCarve Pro, etc.

I’ve owned a Shark since Nov 2010 and haven’t received any email updates – this is another thing Next Wave could comment on.

Chicago says he has an “entry level Shark”. I believe earlier versions used a serial cable. Stated on the Next Wave web site is that these pp’s are “USB Version”. If you connect your computer to the control box using a USB cable, I’d assume that regardless of the shark model you are using, these are the correct pp files. You could call Rockler and get the contact information for the new dedicated Next Wave support person and ask directly (and let us know what you find out).

I also can’t speak the confusion about the perceived reference to the phrase “G-code” being present in the file name. For what it’s worth, these are the files I’ve been using with VCarve, Cut3D, Aspire and PhotoVCarve since they were released.

Hope this helps - if not, no refund needed.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Joe,

You do a really good job at explaining things. Might I suggest that you adopt my grandfathers theory? "Don't thank me, pay me."

Buc ($0.02)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Irish7374

Post by Irish7374 »

Joe, thank you very much for the thorough research and explanation. I've downloaded the file and have FINALLY successfully carved a picture.

Not just need to make it look good...

Lynn