Laptop recommendations

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

stonker

Laptop recommendations

Post by stonker »

I am trying to help a friend get his Shark up and running. He is interested in purchasing a new laptop to control the machine. What would you guys recommend?

Buc

Re: Laptop recommendations

Post by Buc »

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033 with Windows 7 Home Prem. Works great for me. Much better than the HP I threw in the trash can.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

cvguitars

Post by cvguitars »

I would say it depends upon what you will be doing with the laptop besides running the Shark, and the Vectic software it comes with. I pretty much only use my laptop to communicate with the Shark. Generally, I do my work in VCarve and Cut3D on my desktop machine and then copy the toolpaths to the laptop over my network. So, the Dell laptop I'm using, with a 1.3Ghz CPU and 2 gigs of RAM, running Windows Home Premium, is way more than enough. If you plan on running something like Rhino, or some other graphics intensive programs, as well as running the Shark, you will probably want something beefier than my Dell.
Larry

Barguy

Post by Barguy »

I have some advice. I bought a HP Pavilion dv6-3055dx Notebook.

After buying this I have some regrets that I just didnt think of. I have used several laptops. However, what stinks with this is the mouse system is different. The touch pad is different and makes using the design software very difficult (Vcarve). I like having the ability to do it all one computer. This one makes its hard, but still works out.

In retro I would get something that allows you to easily manipulate the mouse. Basically, a large touch pad and preferably with a scroll wheel. If I had it to do over I would look at another system with easy to use pad.

On the positive side, this computer has not froze up or slowed in the least bit. Also, I like the face that I have covered this thing with shavings several times and the tightly sealed keyboard keeps it safe. Well.... I know your not supposed to do that but still haha.

LAMEIII

Post by LAMEIII »

While I'm still considering the purchase of a Shark; I've been using laptops for years.
You can purchase a small mouse that will plug into your laptop that will make your work as easy as on a desktop unit(mouse).

stanleyii

Post by stanleyii »

I have had my Pro for a few months now. I loaded all the software on to a Fujitsu Stylistic ST5022D tablet computer. Now, if you go looking online at Fujitsu, you will find these cost almost as much as the Shark. However, I bought mine last year on ebay, off lease for $250. Another hundred for a new battery and memory [$50 each] (memory cuz I am also a computer geek and 512 meg just doesn't cut it! Battery since they are used and often in poor shape) It runs Windows XP, 1mhz processor. If I need major graphics work I go to my desktop which is way better and transfer via the network. But that hasn't been a needed yet. What I really like about this unit is:

1) it is easier to set up, take down than a laptop (no lid to open and close or damage if you move it while open)
2) Lighter than most laptops and is easy to move and work on designs sitting on the couchvwithout a table, at the coffee shop, work bench, where ever!
3) It has an incredibly sensitive capacitive screen for using the pen, which is really nice for design work.
4) Battery life of 6+ hours! Most laptops do not come with more than 2-3 hours life without paying a lot for the upgrade.
5) Of course, it has wifi, usb, etc.

Tablet computers come with 10-12 inch screens from what I have seen. Mine is a 12" and is plenty big for design work and running the Shark. However, I do recommend a wireless mouse while plugged into the Shark. The pen does not work real well for jogging and setting zero. That is the ONLY drawback I have seen using this tablet with the Shark.

Archos also has a new rig for $400 running windows 7 starter. Not sure how well the resistive screen would work for design work, though. Decent price for brand new tablet.

Ebay only has one Fujitsu right now, but there are lots of other brands and options. Like I said, the capacitive screen is probably the better way to go, but I have not played with any tablets with the resistive screen yet, so they may work well, too.

Summary, Tablets are cool and, in my opinion, work better than my Toshiba laptop for working with the Shark.

Happy computing/carving!

peg_legs

Post by peg_legs »

I have been using a Toshiba for years and I have been getting them from Wal-Mart.
I find I get about 2.5 to 3 years out of them and I get another. Most of the time I get
them for around $375 to $500 and some times I have to add 2gig of Ram, I find that
aq total of 4gig is fine for me.

My laptop goes everywhere I go, I have an inverter in my truck and I cal get on line
when I need too. I have used other brands but have not found any that can stand
up to the "stuff" I put it through and still have a lower price.

Just my 2 cents worth! Just make sure what you pick will do everything you need
and a bit more!

Mike

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into getting a cheap tablet to run my shark machine. I have been doing my design and drawings on my desktop in my office, then bring one of my laptops out to the shop to run the code. I don't' plan on doing any design work in the shop. I thought a table would make much more sense - as i wouldn't need to worry about all the dust getting into the keyboard.

I got a really cheap one from Microcenter - winbook with 7" screen, only $60. It has a USB port, and runs windows 8.1

I figured this is all I would need. I find it is too hard to use - as the interface it very tight, and not conducive to use with fingers.

I can keep the laptop thing going back and forth (office to shop) but I'd prefer an inexpensive tablet dedicated to just sitting connected to the shark.

Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks.