Apps, Pi, and remote desktop.

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GullyFoyle

Apps, Pi, and remote desktop.

Post by GullyFoyle »

I'm wondering if anyone has seen a controller port for Android apps so as to run the machine from a non-local location?
I've seen remote desktop apps for Android that allow access to the pc for distant control of various applications.
If those Android apps exist then something small like the Raspberry pi could be directly attached to the machine and controlled wirelessly via phone or tablet.
Is there something like a CNC hacker community modding software? Is there a site similar to the Android firmware mods for CNC as they do with phones?
I see a lot of hardware mods but very few people seem focused on the software potential.

rgreen105

Re: Apps, Pi, and remote desktop.

Post by rgreen105 »

I'm curious as to what sort of remote actions you were considering that do not require a physical presence to load a piece of wood or a new bit inthe machine. I wouldn't even feel comfortable starting the next object in a nested grouping if, for some reason you needed to created seperate TAP files for each, just to make sure you hadn't accidently hit the travel limits or a loose travel nut and reset your 0,0,0.

Richard

GullyFoyle

Post by GullyFoyle »

The first remote actions would be the ability to observe and stop the system.
Say for some reason you have a 17 hour cut, would you set up a cot next to the machine to observe it for safety's sake?
Using something like a Raspberry Pi would not require a large attached pc or laptop. Everything could be operated by tablet or phone.
Which allows the user much more freedom as you no longer need to be physically present.
Beyond that, it is possible to create an entirely automated loading and unloading system.
A CNC machine is a device which replaces physical labor.
It saves labor and creates free time,leisure time.
Anything that increases the efficiency of automation benefits the user.
Every home tinkerer understands that.
In all seriousness how hard would it be to alter a robot arm for use with a CNC machine? The only thing lacking is vision.
I imagine the entire lock down system could be designed with adjustable grips to securely hold something to the table. Not that complicated just more motors to attach.
People already use their machines to create more machines, so why stop at cutters? Why use software that requires a physical presence to control?
The reality is all the information is freely available to build a fully automated cnc machine which can be controlled from a phone.

Robot arms
http://www.tryengineering.org/lesson_de ... p?lesson=5
Build Your Own Robot Arm
http://www.instructables.com/id/6-AXIS-ROBOTIC-ARM/
Sexy 6 AXIS ROBOTIC ARM

Already for sale.
http://www.selcoeng.com/CustomMachinesA ... n/CNC.html
The team at SELCO Engineering consists of both mechanical and controls engineers enabling us to easily design and integrate fully automated CNC manufacturing cells. Our understanding of both the machining and integration enable us to provide a solution that is the best combination of existing CNC machining centers and material handling automation to solve your flexible automation need.

SELCO has developed fully automated CNC machining and assembly solutions which required handling of raw material (bar stock or other), cutting to length, load/unload of one or more machining centers, part marking, dimensional gauging, part washing/deburring, and final assembly.

CNC Machining cells are usually highly flexible and capable of manufacturing a series of parts (or families of parts) with minimum (or no) changeover time required. This allows our clients the ability to manufacture parts as required instead of using batch manufacturing of large quantities of a single part at one time.

http://www.cmsna.com/219_fully_automate ... _lines.php
Fully Automated Production Lines

Our continuous production module machines can be integrated into a line from start to finish to create an automatic and continuous production line. The CMS continuous production modules are highly customized based on the customers’ available floor space, and based on the future of expansion.

As an example of CMS’s customization offerings, we are able to create automatic shuttle tables that can transport stone slabs from inventory straight to the production line. We can also configure the automatic loading of a bridge saw, individual labeling of pieces and automated nesting and programming.

CMS can reliably configure any continuous production system based on a customer’s floor plan and budget needs. We emphasize a no-limitations approach to our custom continuous production models.

Benefits of our continuous production systems:

Automated production
Reduces manpower cost
Maintain consistent production costs
Predictable production schedule
Consistent quality
Can adapt to existing machines and production flow

bill z

Post by bill z »

Recently, I read that a version Windows 10 can be loaded on the Raspberry PI II B. And on this forum someone said that their Windows 10 runs their Shark. It would be worth a try to load up a RPI with Win10 and try it.

I might even try it this weekend. Seems Microsoft makes you load Win10 to create the SD chip for the RPI.

If it works then I'd gladly use the $35. raspberry PI & $80. used monitor to replace my laptop.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I really don't have any ideas of trying to control or remotely automate my shark but I did want to be able to look in on it and make sure it hadn't gone crazy or to look at the progress. I put a network camera on mine to do this. Here is the thread that I started some time back on it.
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... cam#p11997

I could also see the need to be able to stop it if it does go astray. A remote desktop program would work for this. Something like "LogMeIn" would do fine for that.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

justinlloyd

Post by justinlloyd »

Running Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi 2 is feasible but unfortunately it uses the ARM processor unlike you desktop which is an Intel processor. You would need appropriate drivers for the ARM version of Windows 10.

You have a lot of options, unfortunately this wouldn't be one of them