Convert jpeg Images

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jrmoore

Convert jpeg Images

Post by jrmoore »

I wanted to share a tip that has helped me convert jpeg images into useable vector images. The process is easy.
1. I change color photos to black and white with any handy application such as Photoshop, Inkscape, IrfanView, etc.
2. Then I upload the B&W image to http://www.vectorization.org/ as follows.
3. Go to http://www.vectorization.org and Click on the Browse Button and select an image from your file system.
4. Use the FORM_OUTFORMAT selector (the little down arrow) and select EPS from the list.
5. Then click on the Send File Button.
6. Very quickly a (often truncated) file name with an .eps extention will appear in the Result window.
7. Follow the instructions immediately beneath the file name to save the vectorized file in your file system.

What I find especially cool about this process is that the returned vectors are always, in my experience, all closed vectors that are just detailed enough to make a good representation of the original image. This makes VcarvePro, and me, very happy and eliminates using the Trace Bit Map function on jpeg images.
Here are two jpegs showing an example of this vectorizing process. The B&W has very low resolution and is heavily pixilated. After getting the .eps file I loaded it into VcarvePro and produced the second jpeg, a preview image, with an absolute minimum of fuss. I haven’t carved this tool path yet but based on the preview I expect it will turn out just fine. Hope this is useful to others and as always I am open to any comments.
Attachments
Started with this B&W
Started with this B&W
Resulting VcarvePro Preview
Resulting VcarvePro Preview

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Convert jpeg Images

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

JR,

Why bother with the added steps?

VCarve Pro is fully capable of creating perfectly usable vectors from the image you posted. I have used bitmaps and jpegs right off the Internet to create carvings. I have also used hand drawings on paper, scanned them into the computer as jpegs and VCarve automatically traces out the image and creates the vectors.

Maybe I am missing your point, but it seems to me you are adding steps to the process.

Ralph

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi JR - thanks for sharing this. While VCarve and Aspire have this function - as Ralph points out - your point about always returning closed vectors did catch my eye. While there are no controls to fine tune the outcome here, as you report, in my limited trials/test of this site, all of the vectors were closed. This was not the case with the same images and VCarve's bitmap tool (which I don't view as a bad thing necessarily).

There are times where it can be difficult to find the 2 or 3 vectors that won't close and you really need them to be closed. Sometimes I've found it's not such a big deal. In either case, a very convenient workflow - and whether you do this step inside VCP/Aspire or outside, not a duplicate step. The apparent 'bonus' that all of the vectors may be closed may actually result in a cleaner/faster workflow in some cases.

Like many things - another tool that is available. Like any tool, there are pros and cons. Again, thanks for sharing the info on this capability.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

The same thing caught my eye -- all closed vectors.
Another plus with this neat little tool is no crossed or overlapped vectors which can save an enormous amount of time.
I will admit that I get into editing my files - I like being in control of the smallest detail - but some of the things I do are SO detailed that small, crossed vectors can sometimes be a problem to chase down. I can see where this would be a huge benefit for those not interested in persnickety node editing and I don't doubt there are some here who will find this useful.
Good snag, jrmoore!

On a side note, I did a test run on one of my portraits and it was a bust but they tend to run in the range of 300,000 - 450,000 lines of Gcode so I didn't expect good results.
Karen

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Consultingwoodworker wrote:JR,

Why bother with the added steps?

VCarve Pro is fully capable of creating perfectly usable vectors from the image you posted. I have used bitmaps and jpegs right off the Internet to create carvings. I have also used hand drawings on paper, scanned them into the computer as jpegs and VCarve automatically traces out the image and creates the vectors.

Maybe I am missing your point, but it seems to me you are adding steps to the process.

Ralph
I use a third party online sometimes also. I was working on converting a jpeg in vcarve and it wa going to take a lot of work after the conversion to get it right. I went to another site and converted the file and it came out much better. It was very detailed and I was able to finish the file from the 3rd party software in about 2 hours. It was going to take about double that with the vcarve vectors.

Nothing wrong with vcarve but for some things that extra step will save a lot of time and result with better vectors. I don't need the one step of changing it to black and white as most of the sites will handle the colored jpeg well.

onriso

Post by onriso »

Thank you for sharing this detailed tip! It's great to hear about your positive experience with vectorizing images using. Converting raster images to vector format can indeed be a valuable process, especially for applications like CNC carving where vector graphics are often preferred.

For those who are unfamiliar, vectorization involves converting raster images (composed of pixels) into vector graphics (based on mathematical equations), allowing for scalability without loss of quality.

Your step-by-step guide is very helpful, and your description of the results being closed vectors that are suitable for tools like VcarvePro is valuable information. This can save a lot of time and effort compared to manually tracing bitmap images.

Keep in mind that tools and websites may change over time, so users might want to verify the current status and availability of https://converra.com/converter/jpg/jpeg. Additionally, there may be other online or offline tools that offer similar functionality, so users can explore various options based on their specific needs.

Once again, thank you for sharing this tip!