Bitmapping small images??

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Josh's Woodworks

Bitmapping small images??

Post by Josh's Woodworks »

Hey everyone,
I have a question on bitmapping; can you bitmap small images but prevent them from being really grainy and unclear?? I have an image attached that I am trying to use as an example that I would like to make like 36" wide and like 20 tall.

Any suggestions??
Josh
Attachments
farm-silhouette.jpg

KarenW

Re: Bitmapping small images??

Post by KarenW »

I love a challenge. :)
I'm gonna download and give it a whirl tonight.
Karen

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Yes, it can be done but it's going to take a lot of added drawing and a LOT of clean-up.
Also, in order to keep the size ratio you'll have to change your dimensions to 36x14 (or there about).
I did a search for "farm silhouette vector" images and found another that's a lot higher in resolution and would be easier to trace though slightly different than this one. No pheasant.
If I just had to have this specific one I think I'd search out the individual items and do a composite if I couldn't edit it in a couple hours or so.
Karen

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

You might also try to use a sharpening pass if you have a photo editing package that has that. In the end though, I agree with Karen that there's going to be a fair amount of hand editing. That's not necessarily a bad thing - and sometimes is the solution.

Josh's Woodworks

Post by Josh's Woodworks »

Thank you guys so much for the help. I am still trying different ways in bitmapping and appreciate all the help..

Thanks

Josh

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

Joe's right - and I did run it through Photoshop first to sharpen it and enhance it but in the end there are just too few pixels to work with. Well, that's not entirely true because it can be done but will it be worth 5 or 6 hours of editing? It wouldn't for me so I'd either create a new composite or find something that's higher resolution. Your image was 380x135. I'd look for something in the 800x600 range at least because even though it's a silhouette you still need enough detail that the objects are recognizable. Doing a composite would probably work best for the size you indicated - 36x20 is a fair sized stretch and that's a lot of pocket area staring you in the face.
When doing silhouettes remember to keep the threshold low and cut the noise filter down to 1 or 2 for the very few details in the image.
Karen

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

I ran the picture through a +20yr old program of Paint Shop Pro that I use and it came out fine and it only took me a couple of minutes. This is provided you maintain the aspect ratio. If you stretch it up to 20" the pheasant looks like a long legged chicken, lol! At 36" wide it needs to be 12.780" high

I resized the pixels and the size of the image plus sharpened it. If you want to use the entire image you'll have to edit out the watermark ;)
I'm sure there are plenty of programs out there that will let you do what you want, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I resized the pixels
dammit
That didn't even occur to me.
Where's the head-slapping icon when you need it?
Good call, Del.

eta -- I was able to get it up to just under 14" tall at 36" wide without distortion.
Karen

milo30

Post by milo30 »

ohiococonut, would you mind posting the file after you vectored the bitmap in vcarve? I'd like to see how it looks. It looks like I need to get another program loaded on my computer to help with these issues myself. I always have so much drawing to get a decent file.

ohiococonut

Post by ohiococonut »

milo30
Sent you a PM
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."