new hard drive

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BL30PACK

new hard drive

Post by BL30PACK »

Hi, I am out of space on my hard drive on my laptop if I put a new hard drive and more ram on my laptop will that cause a problem running my control panel or will I have to reregister everything again.I also use Vectric Aspire would I have to reregister and get a new lisence if I upgrade my laptop. Thanks

ohiococonut

Re: new hard drive

Post by ohiococonut »

The ram won't be a problem but you're essentially starting over with the software since you'll have to re-install it. So yes, you'll have to contact the vendors to re-register unless you wrote down all of the license codes. As for the Shark I "think" you'll still have to go online to download the start up files needed for the control panel and then you'll still need the registration code(s). If you've changed anything in your tool database make sure you save a copy of the file on a thumb drive or you'll be starting that all over again too.

As an alternative you could just store all of your images on a thumb drive to get space back.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

you can change out your hard drive in two different ways.

The first way is to reinstall everything and enter all the codes etc.
Time consuming, but your windows registry gets a fresh start and is small and clean.

The second way is to use disk cloning software to make an exact bootable copy of your laptop drive on the new larger hard drive.
The copy is bootable and you just put it in place of the original drive, keeping the original as a backup. If I am doing this to a laptop, I get a usb drive case for the new drive and hook it to the laptop for the cloning process. When complete, the new drive goes in the laptop and the old goes in the external usb case as a backup.

I use Acronis software for this but there are several others including some free variants around.
The new drive boots up and all the software remans authorized, unless it had a copy scheme tied to the hard drive itself which is pretty rare these days. I use this quite often, and windows stays authorized as does the software. I have not tried this with the new shark control panels though...

milo30

Post by milo30 »

For Aspire, you can load it on 3 computers so if you have your license info and only use one computer you won't even have to bother. I've replaced tons of harddrives upgrading my computers. If the harddrive had no issues, cloning is the simplest.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Backup your documents folder, then make sure you recreate it and it's sub folders on the new hard drive. I believe the registration codes for vectric's software are saved there, and that's where it looks. As for the Shark Controller software you'll probably need to contact them with the original email account used to get a new registration code for it.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Backup your documents folder, then make sure you recreate it and it's sub folders on the new hard drive. I believe the registration codes for vectric's software are saved there, and that's where it looks.
No, the software registration information is not stored in the documents folder.

Tim

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Right Tim. I had vectric and NWA confused. Still worth backing up the document and included subfolders.

thepuchman

Post by thepuchman »

I use an external hard drive on my computers. Software licenses are stored on the internal hard drive. I can always pick up another external hard drive for more file storage. No need to start over with the vendors each time.

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

I only store program and lic on laptop.
I use 2TB USB external storage units for all other file storage.
I can take these units and plug them into another computer when needed.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.