New zeroing/mapping to cost $$$$$

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Glug

Re: New zeroing/mapping to cost $$$$$

Post by Glug »

4DThinker wrote:
Glug wrote:My Shark control software requires a key to use, otherwise it will not function. In 5 or 10 years, NWA may not be around to give me a new key. If that happens (and history suggests it may) my controller will become useless. A controller that is compatible with LinuxCNC or Mach3 would not likely have that issue.
Your Shark controller with key will continue to work as long as the Shark does. You only need a new key if you pay for their upgraded version, and if Nextwave goes out of business there will be no new versions to need a key for. Keys are kept in the user's document's folder, and can even move to a new PC (running the same Shark) so long as you copy the contents of that folder to the new PC.
Apparently the keys have expiration dates. They will stop working at some point. I have encountered that with other software systems. Of course we don't know how long that date is. Maybe someone can tell us. This thread alludes to the expiration:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 179#p18375
The Virtual Zero technology is revolutionary though. NextWave leads here. I don't mind the $150 cost for that feature alone. As far as I know all the other control software players out there will be following there rather than leading. JMHO
Please see my post above on that topic. I haven't actively searched for the feature, just noticed it when browsing a forum. I do think it would be extremely useful when machining PC boards.

milo30

Re: New zeroing/mapping to cost $$$$$

Post by milo30 »

rungemach wrote:I have to agree with Jon, regarding mapping of the work surface.
Initially the Virtual Zero used 4 points, now changed to 5.
A flat surface distorted by clamping issues can form various shapes and only 5 points can not determine the direction of the part "bowing".

Other methods I have seen others use in mapping to a surface all involve more touch points to get the surface right.
That would be useful if you are trying to carve on intentionally curved surfaces, like musical instruments or gun stocks.
You can't do that well with 5 points. As the mapping gets more complicated, it takes more time.

I tend to agree with Ralph (Consultingwoodworker) in that you may be best in starting with a flat table sacrificial surface, and plane the work surface flat if needed.
Yeah, the virtual zero technology isn't something new and exclusive to the shark. I've seen similar type of programs before on other machines but was used to do smaller things such as circuit boards. If I am not mistaken, they take a reading of where the machine is going to be working, not the entire work area but even then they are time consuming. I can see the need for it on special projects where you don't want the material to be completely flat. Other than for special things, I agree with you and Ralph. It is best to plane the work surface flat on most projects if needed.

I was thinking about virtual zero. If you compensate for unevenness of material, if it requires any sanding after cutting, aren't you more likely to encounter issues with the sand paper not sanding things evenly and then distorting the cut? I've encountered issues by over sanding one area more than another and it showed up in the final project. Wouldn't using VZ give the same results or am I looking at it wrong?