SCP 2.0 Review

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tonydude

Re: SCP 2.0 Review

Post by tonydude »

I received a different version of the download from next wave support and ran it. Now everything is working great, been using it for a few days already no problems. Write to support and tell them what the problem is and they will send you a updated version.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

tonydude wrote:I received a different version of the download from next wave support and ran it. Now everything is working great, been using it for a few days already no problems. Write to support and tell them what the problem is and they will send you a updated version.

Tony
Thank you, Tony. I already wrote to them but it was earlier today and they were closed. I expect that I will hear from them early next week.

I like the new virtual zero approach. It will really make my life easier in the future.

Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

I'm up and working. Had to revert to version "2071" firmware and all works properly. Simply run "FirmUpdater2071.exe" to load the older version of firmware. This firmware was located in folder, "C:\Program Files\CNC Shark Control Panel\" in my case. This is the default location where this firmware was originally installed. You may also search for "FirmUpdater2071.exe" if your firmware was loaded into another folder. Run "FirmUpdater2071.exe" while connected to the controller in order to revert to this older version. So far, I have not observed any issues. Tech support indicated that only some PC's experienced such difficulties with the 2082 firmware that came with the 2.0 controller. We were the unlucky people. I am using a Del laptop and this may have created the issue. Tony, mentioned that his wife's PC worked well with the newest firmware but his PC did not. Are they different brands or models?

Ed

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

There was a fundamental problem with firmware 2082 - from OEM Tech. It really didn't matter what the operating system was. If it worked, it was Grace. That's been corrected and recent releases of SCP 2 come with 2083. While 2071 is 'fine', at some point for some of the future capability of the Shark, you'll want to use the latest firmware. 2082 also overcame a condition found on some Dell Win 8 laptops. The problem with 2082 was not exposed though with the SCP 1.5.x. 2082 was fielded as an 'update', but as stated when released, only required by those Win 8 users affected (not all Win 8 users experienced this challenge).

So, you're fine with 2071 and SCP 2.0. Better and fine if you have the latest 2083 (which works with 1.5.x as well). 2083 is required for SCP 2.0 use if you have a Win 8 machine with the unique characteristics in the USB hardware that was found in some Dell laptops.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Now that some have been able to use the 2.0, can anyone tell us what advantage it has overall for the shark? Last time I saw info on it at NWA it was too vague to justify me even considering purchasing as I am not interested in the virtual zero. Is there anything in it that I can take advantage of other than the virtual zero? If there is something already online that tells of all new functions, can someone point me towards it?

REG

Post by REG »

milo30 wrote:Now that some have been able to use the 2.0, can anyone tell us what advantage it has overall for the shark? Last time I saw info on it at NWA it was too vague to justify me even considering purchasing as I am not interested in the virtual zero. Is there anything in it that I can take advantage of other than the virtual zero? If there is something already online that tells of all new functions, can someone point me towards it?
Milo, I'm sure you've seen the basic video on SCP virtual zero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0yh7uyuHc
but in addition to mapping out your material there are enhancements in the overall control panel. Instead of just the panel with g-code there is an added panel that shows your tool path. There are also more options to setup your Shark such as borders, grids, hot keys, colors and it is the prep for the 4th axis.

You can download the manual for SCP and use it to guide through the capabilities of the new software: http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/Downl ... Manual.pdf

Bobby

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

I like it because you dont have to switch between jog and run screens unless you want to see the G-code text. I have not used VZerro yet so cant say much about it but do like the setup.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

jeb2cav wrote:There was a fundamental problem with firmware 2082 - from OEM Tech. It really didn't matter what the operating system was. If it worked, it was Grace. That's been corrected and recent releases of SCP 2 come with 2083. While 2071 is 'fine', at some point for some of the future capability of the Shark, you'll want to use the latest firmware. 2082 also overcame a condition found on some Dell Win 8 laptops. The problem with 2082 was not exposed though with the SCP 1.5.x. 2082 was fielded as an 'update', but as stated when released, only required by those Win 8 users affected (not all Win 8 users experienced this challenge).

So, you're fine with 2071 and SCP 2.0. Better and fine if you have the latest 2083 (which works with 1.5.x as well). 2083 is required for SCP 2.0 use if you have a Win 8 machine with the unique characteristics in the USB hardware that was found in some Dell laptops.
Thank you, Joe. I downloaded the "2083" firmware and it works well on my Dell running Windows 7. Firmware "2083" is available on the NWA Download section and available to everyone. I have not exhaustively tested it but it appears to work with both SCP 1.5 and 2.0. I would not have noticed its availability without your help. NWA's Tech Support didn't mention it when I reported problems. It seems to have been on their website since 11/3/2013. I am not sure that it does anything for me at the moment but I agree that it is always best to use the latest version of FW when possible.

Thanks again,
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

I keep hearing about the upcoming 4th axis. Has anyone heard an update on the projected release date for this hardware? I am a candidate for purchasing it when it is out. I keep watching the NWA website but see nothing unless I missed seeing it.

REG

Post by REG »

The SCP 2.0 software is now listed at NWA store: http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop/