Users of Alibre Design Personal Edition

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JoDy

Users of Alibre Design Personal Edition

Post by JoDy »

Here’s a heads up to anybody who uses Alibre Design Personal edition. I have just up-graded my office computer to Windows 8.1 and I am now having issues. I have been dealing with their support team, which has been very helpful. First I lost my license and had to get a new one. I then started getting an 'update.exe-application error' when I start the program. Once I close the error message window and start or load a file, the program works properly. Tech support had me try to install the latest version which failed and then uninstall the application, which also failed. It appears that the 'update application' works as a software dongle. Tech support has turned the matter over to Sales.

GullyFoyle

Re: Users of Alibre Design Personal Edition

Post by GullyFoyle »

Have you installed with administrator rights? ( Right click on the .exe and install with the AR option)
Can it be run in a compatible mode? ( Right click on the installed program icon, go to properties,go to compatibility, choose run this program in compatibility mode for...select from drop down menu)
Don't know anything about win 8, except general rumor is it sucks, but the above tends to work for a number of issues.

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

The Sales team finally got back to me this afternoon. The problem is definitely a licence issue imposed by Geomagic. The personal version was only a 32 bit version when I bought it, but they said it would work on a Windows 8, 64 bit machine. I have had no issues with the program until I upgraded to Windows 8.1. The program checks for a new version every time it starts. Geomagic has decided that you must run a new 64 bit version of the program with Windows 8.1 and my account will only allow the installer to access the 32 bit version so the installer fails when the program loads. Once I click on the error message, the program loads and runs. So far I haven’t run into any problems with the 32 bit program running in Windows 8.1, but I will have to live with the error message every time I start the program. When I talked to the salesman he said my only solution was to pay the full price of $199 to get a new license.

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

I have found a solution to the problem. I deleted the Update.exe file and started the program; it regenerated a new Update.exe but created a new ‘Missing file error’. I was able to access the ‘Update Options’ in the tools menu, something I was not able to do before. I shut off the automatic updates and now I don’t get any errors when I start up.