Importing vectors and bitmaps

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

roadking

Importing vectors and bitmaps

Post by roadking »

I'm missing something when trying to import vectors and bitmaps. I have an image (PNG) that I cant import, I open new file, click import but vectors and bitmap buttons are greyed out. VCarve Pro 2.5, Windows 8, shark hd mako ltd edition. I have yet to do this successfully. I always get the msg "failed to import data" from whatever type of extension is on the filename, (dxf, eps, ai, pdf for vectors and bmp, jpg, gif, tif, png & jpeg) When trying to go into the help index, I get the same message "failed to import data from dxf, eps or ai file"...thats different!!! Anyone have any advice? What's the procedure I should be using...it's getting too quiet here, gotta make some noise and more sawdust!!

milo30

Re: Importing vectors and bitmaps

Post by milo30 »

You should just click on the import jpeg button or alternately, just drag the picture into an opened vcarve.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Check these out. Is this where you import your files from? I use these all the time when I'm importing. The first one shows import bitmap for tracing and the second one shows import vectors from a file.

Tony
Attachments
import bitmap for tracing.JPG
import vectors from a file.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

GullyFoyle

Post by GullyFoyle »

Have you opened the .png in another program?
Maybe just a bad file, or saved in a format which is incompatible.
I know some .jpg's are saved at different settings which are not universally acceptable with other programs.

roadking

Post by roadking »

Thank You tonydude, milo & gullyfoyle for your replies, turns out the image files were protected from another computer. I found similar images that imported successfully from a different source (American Legion clip art disc). I still get the "failed to import data" msg when I hit the help button, not real concerned about that right now. Thanks again for the help, hope to be able to do the same for someone down the road. I've attached 2 pics of the carving, this is a 12" "mock up". The final will be a 24" dia plaque that should yield better detail in the center section. The outer edge still needs trimmed off in the full view pic. A 3D version of this is in my future.
Attachments
2013-12-01_20-58-41_86[1].jpg
2013-12-01_21-00-03_602[1].jpg