Control Panel v2.0 - User Interface - Another's View ...

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

McBuster

Control Panel v2.0 - User Interface - Another's View ...

Post by McBuster »

I have been using v2.0 for a few parts now. On a normal board it seems to do a fine job. It did make that portion of my work easier.

The User Interface, what we see on the monitor to use the product, is not designed very well. Within that statement, I am -not- saying what I have drafted is the End-All in designs, but simply an effort in less than one hour to show what might be better organized and easier to spot things with.
ControlPanel_99.JPG
I attempted to illustrate when some Buttons are Enabled, others who rely on the result, are Disabled. Another feature would be the "Show Toolpath" Button. A single Button would alternate between the G Code and Toolpath illustration. Exchanging one for the other in the larger Box. Several Recently Used Files would be present in the Dropdown Combo Box. I would also suggest improving the Dialog Box's flow to one of less cluttered and simpler in flow.

Just one man's view, and I am wide open for suggestions.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

ohiococonut

Re: Control Panel v2.0 - User Interface - Another's View ...

Post by ohiococonut »

Jon,
Having not seen a screen shot of the new controller software I assumed the picture you posted was one. I went to Next Waves site and looked it up and have to admit a little disappointment. I'm sure they made improvements but they aren't readily visible and promoted very well.

Now, I'm assuming (again) you took elements of screen shots from the new controller software and incorporated them into one panel, is this correct? If so I like it much better. It's visually appealing and looks easy enough to navigate.
I would prefer to have all, if not most, of my controls in one view. I don't like bouncing back and forth between screens when trying to manipulate a machine.
I do however have a couple of suggestions about the screen shot you posted.
One, the bottom right hand corner you've got the XYZO on the right. Most users are already accustomed to it being on the left of the individual XYZ zero.
Two, You shouldn't need a check box for "Increment". You should have one of them already selected and be able to change them at will as you change speeds.
Other than that I really like the layout.

Now I have a few questions.
Can someone post a screen shot of the various control panel screens "if" it changes? Or are we left with the one that's shown on Next Waves site?
Does anyone know if Mach3 has the Virtual Zero capability as this new controller software?
Is anyone using Mach3?
I am in the process of upgrading and rebuilding my Shark Pro Plus HD to make it more robust and add a couple of features to it. I am also going to upgrade my controller software but still at an impasse. My machine has been a great to work with but after upgrading to Aspire the doors have been opened and it's time to move on.
Last edited by ohiococonut on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

ohiococonut

XYZ0 Relocated - Increment changed.

I also posted a version of the Default Panel from NWA. Note, I have already loaded some G Code.

Thanks
ControlPanel_99a.jpg
Attachments
ControlPanel_00.JPG
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

kywilber

Post by kywilber »

I really like the way you have it layed out vs the way it comes..

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Ooops. The Drop Down ListBox should be populated with Tap Files, not Crv. I will change that.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Here is the newest iteration of the design. This one includes features beyond the 2.0 version. But, may serve as useful talking points.

Note, the "Show GCode" is a Toggle. If you Click the Button, it will swap the ToolPath Map for the GCode and Rename the Caption as "Show ToolPath". Also, with nine datapoints, the lower left coordinates would be nine, not five. With nine points, warps and cones and twists can be accommodated.
Attachments
ControlPanel_99_II.JPG
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

I wish there was a button to manual turn on the router so you can use jog feature to fix a small mistake or to open up a slot.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Will add it ...
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

kywilber

Post by kywilber »

Kevink18 wrote:I wish there was a button to manual turn on the router so you can use jog feature to fix a small mistake or to open up a slot.
that is a great idea

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

I could of used that several times got to unplug router from controller and plug into wall then use jog function.