Matching mirrored image

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

plascell9

Matching mirrored image

Post by plascell9 »

Using VCarve Pro 7. I have tried to import a simple line image to bit layer, then reverse the image and match (join) the ends (weld) the layers. The problem is the ends don't match up exactly. Trying the change the size of one side of the image doesn't seem to step in a small enough increment to match. In the preview it shows a slight glitch at the join points, and it also shows in the finished carve. Is there some magic in trying to get a perfect match of a mirrored image?

Pete

milo30

Re: Matching mirrored image

Post by milo30 »

have you tried rt click select join , make ends meet

plascell9

Post by plascell9 »

Thanks milo. It took a few tries, but did it.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I gotta say, I love VCarve, it is among the best CAM software available at this price point and even beats much more expensive software.

But as a CAD program, it is not as good. I limit the amount of drawing I do in it. I vastly prefer to do my drawing in DeltaCad (www.dcad.com) and importing the .dxf files into VCarve.

DeltaCad is about $40.00 and is, in my opinion, the best simple 2D CAD software around. It is intuitive and easy to use. I have used and trained others in a wide range of CAD/CAM systems over the years. I own several, including SolidWords, a $15,000 true 3D modeling program, but DeltaCad is still my go to for 2D drawing.

Ralph

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Once Vcarve upgraded to version 7, I love how easy it is to draw with. I've also been using CAD software for 30+ years, and before that drafting with a pencil/t-square and triangle. Knowing several drafting tricks from the pencil era also helps make it easy to construct just about anything I can imagine. It helps to know the Node editing functions, as well as how to build complicated shapes from more basic shapes then weld/join them together. The scissor tool, offset, as well as the new extend vector tool have to be my most used editing tools. I don't make signs other than the occasional name plate, but for furniture parts I find it far more enjoyable to use than my old drafting table or the far more complicated Rhino/AutoCAD/etc. I have access to. Just throwing my 2 cents into the pot.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I've not upgraded to V7, maybe I need to :)

Ralph

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I recommend you have a look at the trial version of 7.0, Ralph. Just be aware that you can't cut anything you draw with it unless you buy and install the functional 7.0 update on the same PC. Coming from an Architecture education I was giddy when I got hold of 7.0. Having started with 5.0, I agree just about anything else was easier to draw with than that. Now that I have 7.0, nothing else seems as easy.

4D

plascell9

Post by plascell9 »

I had drawn a simple outline of a canoe on paper and scanned the line drawning to .jpg, then imported to trace bit image. Having issues with the bow and stern, so elected to cut it in half and let VCarve reverse it so it was semmetrical. I thought the lines were too wide, and trouble with matching(joining) bow and stern images. Guess what I wanted was a "smoothing" function" to hide rough edge mistakes. Anyway, I have an acceptable vector pattern now. I will try another project soon and see if it goes quicker with less drama.

OJT (practice) goes a long ways in getting better with the Shark system.

Thanks Ralph for the DeltaCad suggestion.

Pete