File conversion and drawing programs

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kevinmac1067

File conversion and drawing programs

Post by Kevinmac1067 »

Hello all

I am a new shark owner was using Vcarve pro last night and I was trying to figure out how to import a .jpg file into vcarve pro so I could make a drawing.
VCarve pro does not except .jpg ot .gif files to edit that I could find.
Is there a conversion program that most use? and what might be the best one for long time use as i gain more experience with the machine and drawings?
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Kevin Mac
If you can not run with the big dawgs stay on the porch.

milo30

Re: File conversion and drawing programs

Post by milo30 »

i use a free one online to crop, resize and convert to another type of file. i dont recall the name but if you google it, it is always the first to pop up. easy, fast and free to use.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Kevinmac1067 wrote:Hello all

I am a new shark owner was using Vcarve pro last night and I was trying to figure out how to import a .jpg file into vcarve pro so I could make a drawing.
VCarve pro does not except .jpg ot .gif files to edit that I could find.
Is there a conversion program that most use? and what might be the best one for long time use as i gain more experience with the machine and drawings?
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Kevin Mac
Create a new file first. Then import the jpeg or gif files into the new file...if I'm understanding the situation.
bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

In Vcarve 7 you can copy the JPG then paste it into a new VCarve file. Or you can File>Import>Import Bitmap. Then use Edit>Trace Bitmap to turn it into vectors that can be edited and toolpathed.

Kevinmac1067

Post by Kevinmac1067 »

milo30 wrote:i use a free one online to crop, resize and convert to another type of file. i dont recall the name but if you google it, it is always the first to pop up. easy, fast and free to use.
Would that be Img2CAD? I google and came up with that one.
I will also try the copy and paste.
I am not always by the comp with the VCarve on it and like to do work from another computer and transfer the files over later.
My machine got a broken part on gantry in shipping and have to wait for a new part to be shipped out so I am just messing with software for now.
I am very impressed with the quick response and availabilty from Rockler to talk to a live person now a days. Looking forward to start designing and carving.
I will probably be asking alot of questions for awhile. I prefer to work smart not hard.
Thanks for the answers guys.

Kevinmac1067

Post by Kevinmac1067 »

[/quote]
Create a new file first. Then import the jpeg or gif files into the new file...if I'm understanding the situation.
bob[/quote]

The import worked great, :D
Thanks Bob

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Kevin
Thanks for reporting.
Just trying to keep it simple.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)