PhotoCarve help!

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

PhotoCarve help!

Post by NewAgent45 »

Source photo
Source photo
Preview
Preview
Finished PhotoCarve
Finished PhotoCarve
I posted this on the Vectric forum in the PhotoCarve section but the folks on there do not provide much help. I have found that the Shark forum community to be more help. Thanks!

I’m a novice and new to CNC. This is my first attempt with PhotoCarve and would appreciated some help.

I first tried carving a sample on wood (Oak) and I’m trying this on a sheet of 1/8” thick clear acrylic. I’ll attach my source photo which I edited to remove the background. The second picture is a screen capture of the PhotoCarve preview display. The third picture is my finished carve. I taped it to a window to backlight it.

PhotoCarve details and settings:
• Image Size: X=4.25”, Y6.0”, Z=0.125”
Cutting parameters:
• V-Bit (60 deg 0.50”)
• Depth: 0.015”
• Line Spacing: 120% / 190 lines @ 22.5⁰
• Contrast 81% (Note previously tried 20%)
Estimated Machining Time:
• 15 minutes w. Rapid rate 3ips

Machine Setup:
• CNC Shark – Black Diamond
• Surface planed spoil-board
• Mounting with double-sided carpet tape.

The detail seems ok but I would like the photo to standout more. I have already tried changed the contrast setting from 20 to 80%. Is this what I can expect or do I need to change cutting parameters?

Have a great day and thanks for your input.

……….. Rod
Attachments:

Consultingwoodworker

Re: PhotoCarve help!

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I'm not terribly familiar with PhotoCarve, but having used similar programs, two thinks pop out at me:

First, you'll get better results with a 1/32" ball end mill, much finer tip.

Second, I think your spacing is too high, not enough resolution. 15 minutes seems very short for a carving of that size. Each line should only step a few thousandths of an inch from the previous line. Increasing the resolution will dramatically increase run time, but will also improve the quality.

I'm sure others will be along to give you better advice,

Ralph

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I use photo v carve to do lots of lithophanes using .25 corian, I don't use acrylic for those because they don't come out. I use cast acrylic for my led acrylic lights. I did a write up on here for how to do lithophanes. Take a look at it , might be what your looking for. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ithophanes

Look at my facebook page.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Ralph & Tony,

Thanks for your replys!

I am using cast acrylic in the test carves. I also have samples of cast acrylic in colors and one that is mirrored that I would like to try. I would also like to work with Corian. I looked at Tony's detailed instructions where he imports to VCarve Pro a rough and finish carve. This seems complex for a beginner when PhotoCarve should handle the job. I have to say that the examples Tony posted are excelent work and quite good.

I'm going to try different smaller bits with more lines. I also received a responce on the Vectric PhotoCarve forum to reduce the line spacing to 20%. I'm going to try these things first sticking with PhotoCarve for now.

I'm still doing this part time and will have more time when I retire in May. I'll add an update to this thread later when I get the chance to experiment.

Thanks again and have a great day!

.......... Rod

MikeDe1025

Post by MikeDe1025 »

I reduce my line spacing down to as low as 10%. You'll have to manually type that figure in there since the slider bar doesn't go down that far. Spacing it at that low percentage like that is what will cause your picture to stand up off of, or be engraved down into, your wood as opposed to just carving lines to be seen at a particular angle. After I learned how to do this picture making at 10% line spacing I never etched lines again after that. Try that. You'll LOVE it.

Mike