Compucarve VS Shark Pro

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

americanhnor

Compucarve VS Shark Pro

Post by americanhnor »

Hi, I am new to this forum, I currently have a CompuCarve (Carvewright) and am not thrilled with it do to breaking down all the time-- Dependability is my biggest issue.. I am thinking about getting the Shark Pro, but was wondering if my designs/Patterns I have bought through Carvewright will work with the software that comes with the CNC Shark Pro Plus Routing System. I saw this at http://www.rockler.com/cnc-shark-pro-pl ... ing-system.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks john

4DThinker

Re: Compucarve VS Shark Pro

Post by 4DThinker »

File compatibility will be your biggest challenge. The Sharks come with VCarve Pro and Cut3D made by Vectric.com. VCarve can import/open and edit then toolpath .DWG, .DXF, .PDF. .AI, and its own .CRV files. Cut3D can import and toolpath but not edit several different 3D file formats including .v3d, .stl, .txt, .prj, .sbp, ,obj, .wrl, .dxf, .lwo, and probably a few others.

While Carvewright may be able to import and cut many of the same formats, I don't believe the default format of Carvewright files can be imported by VCarve or Cut3D.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

John,

I wrote the first magazine review of the CarveWright for Woodcraft magazine when it first came out.

The short answer is no. CarveWrite uses a proprietary programming system which makes it difficult if not impossible to share programs with other systems. VCarve Pro, the software that comes with the Shark, can output 'g-codes' to a large number of CNC systems, pretty close to any that uses a standard g-code. But the CarveWright does not use g-code as far as I know so your existing programs will not be usable.

I do know that CarveWrite has upgraded their software quite a lot since I last used it. You MIGHT be able to save the files in a standard format that can then be opened in a different CAM program such as Cut3D and output to the Shark, but I do not know for sure.

Ralph

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I recommend that you research the shark more before making a decision. The pro plus uses a colt palm router if I remember right. I'd recommend comparing to something like the shark HD so you get a stiffer machine and the ability to use a larger router rather than a palm router.