Control Panel 2

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

asever

Control Panel 2

Post by asever »

I just received the new control panel software and I really like it. I am not sure how to pass this on to the programmers but I think I found bug. When I load a tap in the inches format the virtual preview displays, when I load the same file in metric it does not. Most of my work is done in metric, so I went ahead and tried to run the file (in the metric version) and it cut just fine.

As with all software bugs exist and I am not stressed about it...just thought I would pass it along.

Andy
Attachments
Inch screen capture
Inch screen capture
Metric screen capture
Metric screen capture

Ausworkshop

Re: Control Panel 2

Post by Ausworkshop »

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to buy the new software just for the 2d view but as I work in metric as well I think I will hold off for now. You would think they would test it in metric before release.

Another thing that has annoyed me for ages is when you select mm in the software it doesn't remember your choice the next time you open the software and reverts back to inches all the time. Its caught me out a few times when I forget to change it over and trying to step the bit down to zero it in 0.1mm increments. It ends up going down 0.1inch instead and ruins the job or breaks the tip off my bit. I informed them of this years ago and thought it would be relativity easy to change in the software but every time I get a notification of a new release I go ahead and update only to find this simple fix has still not been made. I never work in inches so I hate having to remember to change it over every time I open the software. Do they even listen to customer feedback?

Just today I did an upgrade and noticed the bit (Zaxis)no longer goes up as high when its returning to zero after a jog, I just put a huge diagonal scratch across my workpiece. It used to rise up about 20mm clearing the work then the Z axis would not go down until it was at XY zero first.
Does anyone know how i can change this or should I just revert back to the old software? I hate upgrades to software, why do they mess with things that worked perfectly.
“It’s not that I’m so smart,
it’s just that I stay with problems longer.“
Albert Einstein

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

are you two on the beta?

you can send me your metric .tap file and I can look at that. support@nextwaveautomation.com

As for the switching... the program automatically switches when the header comes up as a different specified format. This has always been this way.

So if the header in your file specifies metric then the file should load as metric. Please verify... and screen shot your about window when you send in the information, so we know what release or beta version is giving you the problems.

I am working hard on updates, I generally push out 1-2 betas per week, but the last 3 weeks I've been a bit behind. In fact, had 3 beta updates today to patch some code that was moved around. The goal is to provide customers with the best experience. We do our best to hit that mark through continuous improvement, innovation and dedication to our work. We do listen to our customers, and provide what we can within reason. Always glad to help.

thx, Joe

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your fast response although I'm not sure I understand about the header. I've attached a screenshot.
Basically if you want to test it just open the program, its in inches, change it to mm then close the program, next time you open it has gone back to inches. This has been this way since I got the machine about 4 years ago and has annoyed me because I pointed this out and thought it was going to be fixed in one of the updates. I don't think loading a file changes anything. the other problem is that the z axis no longer rises up as high when returning to zero, I noticed it on my first job after the update I did yesterday. It used to go up higher when in jog mode and its returning to XYZ zero. Something must have changed here. It would be good to see a list of the changes made with each update release but i can never find them. There is a 'whats new' file I have downloaded in the past but it never seems to be as up to date as the actual update. Maybe I'm just missing something but the procedure could be a lot easier if you ask me. A simple list of updates in order of release date along with a brief of what changes are made in each update. Then we can simply read it before deciding if its an update worth getting.

Also i noticed yesterday that it still sometimes causes problems in jog mode, I've noticed this for years also and ruined a few jobs. When jogging along holding down the mouse button I notice it sometimes stays stuck on as if your still pressing the button, yesterday it was the Y axis but I've had it happen on the Z before which is much worse as it plunged through my job because it didn't stop when I removed my finger from the mouse. At first I thought maybe my mouse was dodgy and the button was staying stuck on but this has happened with 3 different mice so I doubt they are at fault.

Thanks for your time. I do love my Shark but its just these little things that annoy me after putting up with them for so long and knowing they could probably be fixed in the software.
Attachments
ScreenShotCNCShark.jpg
“It’s not that I’m so smart,
it’s just that I stay with problems longer.“
Albert Einstein

asever

Post by asever »

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the response. I was originally using a beta (1404-22). After reading your post I checked for an update and installed 1403-14. In this version I don't see anything in the virtual area when I run a metric job (I have not tried running it in inches). I will attach the tap file for this job (which cut perfectly).

Thanks again.

Andy

Update...I am not sure what changed but the second tap file below showed up on the screen.

Andy
Attachments
Male Inlay Frame.tap
(60.41 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Pocket Inlay Bottom two ovals.tap
(61.23 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

I think the posts in this string point out a problem with software updates to the V2.0 Control software in general. If you go here (http://www.nextwaveautomation.com/DownLoads.aspx) on the Next Wave Automation website, you won't find any reference to V2.0 software at all (except for a very obsolete apology from NWA president apologizing for the delay of the V2.0 software from 10/21/13). I know that Joe is working very hard to update the software and in fact he sent me an update that fixes the metric/inch problem I had pointed out in an earlier post. That was several weeks ago now and still no formal update on the NWA website.
Joe also refers to several betas released per week. Where are they and how do we access them?

Quite frankly, I don't know what the latest version of the V2.0 software is (or where it is for that matter). I suggest that NWA take a deep breath, update the Downloads page on their website to define the latest version of V2.0, describe what issues it fixes, and make it available on the Downloads page for all of us who plunked down $150 for this upgrade.

Respectfully,
Kevin

asever

Post by asever »

I would concur with Kevin.

On the bug front...the virtual display seems to disappear when the tool path is deeper then the material.

Andy

jcatcmc

Post by jcatcmc »

Hello at the forum,
Thought I would take a look at the forum after some time mainly to see if version 2 of the control panel is worth the money, seems other people other than me cant seem to get any info, as for the problems described by Ausworkshop agree whole heartedly particularly the Inch - metric selection and mouse problem. it would be a good idea if the Software upgrades were explained if full on the web site .

Regards, JC

fison

Post by fison »

Those posts are pretty old. I think its well worth it and haven't run into any of the bugs mentions as of yet.

-Paul
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

fison wrote:Those posts are pretty old. I think its well worth it and haven't run into any of the bugs mentions as of yet.

-Paul
Hi Paul, Which version of the control panel are you using?
Ed