Shark Control Panel 2 - Known Step increment issue

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Shark Control Panel 2 - Known Step increment issue

Post by NewAgent45 »

FYI:

I'm reporting this so you all know there is and easy fix for the issue. I recently updated my Shark HD - Black Diamond control panel software to SCP2 with Vz. After the upgrade we observed an issue with the job increment setting compared to the values displayed on the coordinate display. The good news is this issue is easily fixed.

The table below shows the issue values:

Coordinate Display Jog step value setting
NO step change 0.001
0.001 / 2 steps 0.010
0.004 / step 0.100
0.039 / step 1.0
Note: x, y & z all step the same.

The Help > about display shows the follow software installed with the issue:
SCP: v. 2.0 Rel. 1403-14
Controller ID: 4003
Controller FW: 2083

AS stated above this issue was easily resolved, I contacted Next Wave Automation (NWA) support at support@nextwaveautomation.com They followed up by sending me an updated version of the SCP2 software version SCP v2.0 Beta 1404-22. We installed this version and repeated the firmware upgrade to resolve the problem.

Have a great day!

,,,,,,,, Rod

KevinO

Re: Shark Control Panel 2 - Known Step increment issue

Post by KevinO »

Hi Rod,

The problem you were seeing is related to an error in the V2.0 software where even though you have your settings set to inch units, the software jogs in metric. Take a look at your table. Note that the gantry actually moves only 0.039 inch when your step setting is 1.0. That's because the software is moving the gantry 1 mm, not 1 inch. (1 mm = 0.0394 inch). NWA has known about this issue for a while and for some reason only send out the fixed software to those who complain, such as you, me and Jim N.
The reason I know is that I posted the same issue back on April 9 ("Problem with Jogging V2.0") and they also sent me a copy of the updated software. NWA could have saved us all a lot of wasted time if they just posted the fix on their downloads page.

Kevin

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Although I can't comment specifically on this issue I am running version 1311-07 and any query for new updates returns that this version is the latest. So obviously I can't place any faith now in that function and this also causes me to wonder what features/fixes have been implemented since 1311-07. What's up Mr. Owens?

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

The next official 2.0 release is available...
The 4th Axis is in and no longer interferes with operation of virtual or standard runs.
All known numeric entry issues have been resolved.
All known issues in virtual and standard operation have been resolved.

4th Axis itself is still in beta testing, and a full cut test has not been performed on 4th axis, but air tests completed successfully.
If you are testing 4th axis, please run an air test before you cut to verify the movements, before running a test cut.

Thank You & Best Regards,
Joseph A. Poirier - Programmer, Next Wave Automation
1st Contact: support@nextwaveautomation.com

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Joseph Poirier wrote:The next official 2.0 release is available...
When??? As stated the current version I have is reported as the most recent version. Your statement seems to suggest different...
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

the full patched update was posted last night at 4:59 pm 'v2.0 release1405-01'. You will not get a new link when you check if the CNC PC is not online. I will check your version and see if it uses a different source for the update.

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

how do I get the new version of the control panel 2.0 I am running 1310-27

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Joseph Poirier wrote:the full patched update was posted last night at 4:59 pm 'v2.0 release1405-01'. You will not get a new link when you check if the CNC PC is not online. I will check your version and see if it uses a different source for the update.
I posted shortly after checking last night just before 8pm.

Yes, I realize that my PC would have to be online. That being said maybe the last part of your reply is applicable and it's looking at a different source for the update but then wouldn't that be NWA responsibility to either keep that source available or at the very least like a previous poster commented contact your users about any updates. Surely you have all our details - I get your marketing emails too. Here's a suggestion - within your database of registered users of v2.0 send them an email advising them of the new update and the improvements you have made. I hear this is good for customer loyalty, etc, etc.

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

We were discussing exactly that, doing an email. For now, I will update the link that shows old users what version we are on, but I have to pull down last year's code to do that. It should be up by tomorrow morning.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Joseph Poirier wrote:I will update the link that shows old users what version we are on, but I have to pull down last year's code to do that. It should be up by tomorrow morning.
Hi Joseph,

FYI, my v2 control panel still reports that I'm using the most up-to-date version. I checked NWA site and I couldn't see any link ... and no email either. I'm going to send an email to support.