Shop Laptop recommendations?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

benaroh

Shop Laptop recommendations?

Post by benaroh »

Sadly, the laptop I use in the woodshop is about to croak.

I'm looking for something reasonably priced, capable of running vectric, and can withstand a little bit of wood dust.

Any suggestions?

milo30

Re: Shop Laptop recommendations?

Post by milo30 »

I have 2 in the shop. one just to run the machine and another to work on files while the machine is running. I haven't had any issues from dust with either one except one has the keys that snap on from the top. I have lost a few keys vacuuming the dust off the keyboard. I prefer one that they mount from the bottom. You might want one that has a spill proof keyboard to help keep dust out. Just blow them out regularly and dust should be an issue. Find the biggest screen that you can.

One of mine is a desktop replacement with 17" screen that I got a good deal on craigslist for it. I'd start there if it is just a shop computer.

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I use a Zotac mini-PC in my shop similar to this one; http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Mini-Barebo ... ords=zotac
It's a windows machine and runs the Shark control software and Aspire well.

It fits up under my bench with the control box where there's less dust contamination. Then I have a cheap monitor and keyboard out in the open. I found a wireless keyboard with a touch pad at Fry's for about $30 that's been in the shop for about 4 years.

Rando

Post by Rando »

For me, the Shark's computer is outside the shop area. I use an ethernet-based USB device server so that the computer ("\\studio") connects to the Shark over ethernet. That keeps that computer completely out of dust, static and high-power surges as the motors go on and off. While I'm at the machine, I use a wireless laptop. The laptop runs a "remote session" on \\studio. That way I have full control of the machine, but none of the computers involved are at risk via electrical connections in the shop. And, bonus, the laptop can crash and burn and the program will stay running, since it's actually running on \\studio, not on the laptop. I can walk around the place with the laptop, monitoring the progress in the Shark control panel.

This setup has worked very well for me and is much safer for the computers. I especially recommend the silex usb device server: love 'em :D.

http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/prod ... e-servers/

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)