API to controller

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pbb

API to controller

Post by pbb »

Is there an API to the controller so that one could directly control the Shark and write specialized code?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: API to controller

Post by jeb2cav »

I'd send an email to Tim at towens@nextwaveautomation.com. Let us know what you find out.

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

No true API that I am aware of. You can create your own tap file instead of having VCarve create it for you.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

The .tap file is essentially just a text file.

The CAD/CAM software (such as VCarve) allows you to draw and apply cutting information. No machine can interpret that info, so it needs to be converted into "G-Code", which is the standard machine language.

This conversion is done through a "post processor", a third bit of software that converts the CAD info to G-Code. Since every type of machine is different, the post processors are specific to machine types.

The G-Code is essentially a text file, it can be opened in Notepad and modified if you know what to do.

Hope this provides some insight.

Ralph

OceansCrashing

Post by OceansCrashing »

I was thinking an API would be great for creating safe zones that trigger an emergency shutoff; I was thinking about setting up a raspberry pi or other mini computer with sensors (pressure or continuity maybe?) that I could place around clamps, etc... If those sensors are triggered, send an e-stop signal to the PC running the control software.

bill z

Post by bill z »

The Shark is just pulse motors. If you have the knowledge to build or modify a power supply controller and drive it with a Raspberry Pi, then it can be done.

Know that the controller used by the shark is proprietary and difficult to hack.

There are those that do swap out the shark controller and use the Mach software.

So, anything is possible. Just takes time and money.

I would be interested in knowing what you decide and your progress. I do like what NWA has but I also like alternatives. I have several Raspberry PI 2 Bs and had thought about this but not knowledgably enough to know what power supplies and control circuits fit with what.

Rando

Post by Rando »

The only viable way you program the machine IS via the GCode. The Shark controllers do not respond to all possible GCodes, but that's normal. Writing code to analyze the GCode file is feasible, but doesn't get you what you want. You'd need to insert a step in your workflow that involves running that GCode through your analysis programs. The other options include using a GCode simulator that lets you define the machine layout and tool holder geometry; those can typically look for collisions, but have pretty steep learning curves for defining the machine/vise/clamps/ends, etc.

Sadly (for both us and NWA) the controller code is locked up tightly, and can't be modified by anyone but the controller manufacturer. Thus why we can't even get a PWM signal out for spindle speed control...because the original programming doesn't work, and there's nobody to fix it. NWA didn't write the code for the controller, they just wrote the checks that sealed their fate ;-).

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)