Circles aren't round anymore

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Fretboy

Circles aren't round anymore

Post by Fretboy »

I've got a four year old CNC Shark that I use to make many things including fret boards. The fret boards have 1/4" diameter round x 1/8" deep pockets for pearl fret dots. I've cut dozens of fret boards with perfectly round fret dot pockets but now they are irregular - more like asymmetrical ovals. I'm using the same program, same bit, etc. Any idea what is causing this? Thx.

tonydude

Re: Circles aren't round anymore

Post by tonydude »

Have you checked the coupling to make sure they are tight? They do come loose sometimes.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

thepuchman

Re: Circles aren't round anymore

Post by thepuchman »

It could be a few things. Couplings, worn screw, worn nut, loose nut, bearing starting to fail, stepper starting to fail. Basically anything that can allow back lash. If you have a dial indicator you can check for back lash pretty easy. Mount the indicator to the table and place the tip on the Y axis gantry near the base. Gently push the gantry away from you and remove your hand. Zero out the indicator. Now gently pull the gantry toward you and let go. The reading on the dial is the amount of back lash on that axis. Repeat for the X axis. These do not use ball screws so by nature will have some backlash. I do not know what the amount is when the screw/nut is new on these. For a Bridgeport mill it is to be no less than .007". Any tighter and it causes premature wear of the components. 7 thou in wood is nothing and would only show up in very small details or tight tolerance work.