Open Profiles & VCarve 7.5

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mcsteve

Open Profiles & VCarve 7.5

Post by mcsteve »

Hello. I purchased a Shark Pro in December and have been having a lot of fun experimenting with different types of projects in a lot of scrap wood. I am now ready to start work on my first "real" project, an oval cribbage board that I purchased from Vector Clip 3D. I am having trouble toolpathing some open profiles with a v bit tool in the VCarve 7.5 software. Every time I select a series of profiles to calculate the toolpath the software tells me "25 open vectors selected and are being ignored".

I know it is likely just my own inexperience but how do I get the program to toolpath these open profiles? I have tried reading through the help file and must be missing it because I cannot find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

tonydude

Re: Open Profiles & VCarve 7.5

Post by tonydude »

See attachments. Click on join open vectors, change tolerance number click join and see if they are joined, lf not change number again till you get it.
Joining & Closing Tools
The icons to join and close vectors are located under the Edit Vectors section of the Drawing Tab as shown highlighted with a red box in the image shown below: As with all the icons listed in this manual more expansive descriptions and examples can be found in the Help File under the Help drop down menu – Help Contents.

Join Open Vectors
Open vectors are automatically identified and closed or joined to other vectors where the end points lie within the user definable tolerance.

Tony
Attachments
join open vectors.JPG
change number.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Have you watched the tutorials on http://support.vectric.com/training-material/vcarve-pro lot of info and great tutorials.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Thanks for responding. Your suggestion tonydude to join the open vectors won't work in this case. That was actually the first thing I had tried. I am trying to create a grid pattern around a radius. I have gone back to the tutorial videos to see if I can find any reference to doing this also as suggested but have been unsuccessful so far. I'll keep looking. A visual of what I am doing might be helpfull so here it is. The division lines between each group of 3x5 holes are the open profiles I am trying to work with (shown in red).
Peg layout
Peg layout
BobCAD V28

BillK

Post by BillK »

Do you just want to carve on those lines to a certain depth? If so you can use the profile toolpath for them. Since the lines are not connected, you will have to make a toolpath for each. Fortunately you can save all ithe toolpaths nto one tap file.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Thanks Billk. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out as I really did not want to complete the project without those division lines. I've watched more than 2 hours worth of training videos "again" hoping to see a trick to this. Now I feel really stupid :shock: . I've been so caught up in trying to create this project based on the instructions that I didn't even think about applying a different process to this segment.

Prior to carving these profiles I'll be milling the project at 0.0 to ensure it has a completely level surface. I'll apply the profile toolpath, use a small bit (.0625) at a depth of only 0.09375, take it nice and slow and that should do the trick.

Thanks again
Steve
BobCAD V28

BillK

Post by BillK »

You're welcome. Please don't feel stupid, its part of the learning process. Not quite sure where in the timeline of understanding I learned this, but it wasn't the first week or month, lol.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver