Auto Spindle On?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MechanicalRandall

Auto Spindle On?

Post by MechanicalRandall »

I'm using the CNC Shark 60th Anniversary Edition from Rockler with VCarve Pro.

When I import and run some GCode the machine seems to first turn on the spindle and then zero the machine before it starts running code.

Even if I zero the machine and modify the code so the first line is "M5" (Turn Spindle Off), when I run the program there's a split second where the spindle turns on, then it reads the M5 command and turns off. Is there a way to disable the auto-spindle-on function at the beginning of my programs? I can't find a setting anywhere.

ruhnau

Re: Auto Spindle On?

Post by ruhnau »

It is hard coded in the machine and cannot be changed.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Take a look in the GCode, at the top. If there's an M3 (or M03) line there, that's what is turning on your spindle. If you can either remove it from the post-processor files, or just remove it from the GCode files then the spindle shouldn't start unless you tell it to.

In my experience, it takes a bit of digging to change it, but it's not "hard coded" in the sense of "cannot be changed". It's the normal default for most uses and most users. For me, it required changes to add an Automatic tool changer command (M6 T1) so it would start the spindle, and then immediately pause the program. I use a non-contact tachometer to verify the RPMs, and then click Continue in the control panel.

Works like a charm. Hope that helps or at least moves you further toward what you need.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

mcsteve

Post by mcsteve »

Not to sound like a smart *as but I simply turn the power switch on the router off when knife cutting. Not automatic and you need to remember to turn it back on for other apps but it works well and no messing with the g-code.
CNC Shark Pro Plus - 12/2014
VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D
ViaCAD 3D, AutoCAD, Sketchup
BobCAD V28

MechanicalRandall

Post by MechanicalRandall »

Rando wrote:Take a look in the GCode, at the top. If there's an M3 (or M03) line there, that's what is turning on your spindle. If you can either remove it from the post-processor files, or just remove it from the GCode files then the spindle shouldn't start unless you tell it to.
MechanicalRandall wrote:Even if I zero the machine and modify the code so the first line is "M5" (Turn Spindle Off), when I run the program there's a split second where the spindle turns on, then it reads the M5 command and turns off.