Piranha and 3D Software?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

XavierFremboe

Piranha and 3D Software?

Post by XavierFremboe »

Greetings!

I'm trying to figure out if I made a mistake that can be fixed. I bought a Piranha, but discovered that the software that's included doesn't allow the import of a 3D file. I thought it would load a .STL. I'm wondering if I can upgrade the software so that it'll run the Piranha, or if the Piranha won't allow the software used on the Shark.

I haven't installed the 3D software because I figured I'd be able to return the Piranha more easily if it hadn't been run. Rockler didn't know an answer.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Kayvon

Re: Piranha and 3D Software?

Post by Kayvon »

The Piranha just runs g-code like the Shark, so it's not a compatibility issue. If you want the ability to carve 3-D objects, you'll need software to support it like Vectric's Cut 3D. You can either buy that separately or contact your Shark supplier about the availability of upgrades.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

As long as you haven't registered your software, you can contact NWA and upgrade to vcarve pro plus cut3d for only 250 dollars. I did that and it is a great deal. Be sure to get tracking and insurance on the software you send back, I didn't and the post office lost it for about 3 weeks. I was pretty worried about losing some money there!
Mike

XavierFremboe

Post by XavierFremboe »

Thanks! Afraid I did register the software. That's how I found out that it wouldn't load anything else...

Not sure what that will do to the cost.

Is there any other company that sells software that will drive these?

I actually owned a machine shop, and the CAM software will generate G-code for different CNC controllers. I don't really feel like jacking around with the stuff we use to hold +/-0.0075mm tolerances, but since I'm using Autodesk Inventor to generate the models...

Thanks for the info!

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

You can get on the Vectric site, and they will offer upgrade prices for your registered software. It is more than the NWA price for unused software, but still better than buying from scratch,
Mike
XavierFremboe wrote:Thanks! Afraid I did register the software. That's how I found out that it wouldn't load anything else...

Not sure what that will do to the cost.

Is there any other company that sells software that will drive these?

I actually owned a machine shop, and the CAM software will generate G-code for different CNC controllers. I don't really feel like jacking around with the stuff we use to hold +/-0.0075mm tolerances, but since I'm using Autodesk Inventor to generate the models...

Thanks for the info!

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Since you registered it we would have to contact Vectric to see if they would unregister the software (since you want to upgrade).
Please call us at 419 318-4822 or support at 419 491-4520.