Issue with SCP 2.1 rel 003

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Joseph Poirier

v2.1 Build15

Post by Joseph Poirier »

v2.1 Build 15 is the version that was released with the internal adjustment moved.

in the previous 2.1 versions the adjustment was in Virtual and AAxis.

It wasn't until after I had removed a great amount of old and unused code that I was able to determine the offset must be due to drivers, and that is why I moved the internal offset into the touchplate process, which is approximately 5/100 of a millimeter. I just wanted users to know to test [Detect Touchplate] and set that prior to running, because the resulting zero will be the basis of where the things will move to when virtual and AAxis projects are cut.

It was feedback from users and beta users that have been prompting me to find the root cause of bugs their emailed and posted bugs, and I will continue to support them. Internally, I have had over 150 builds, but only 15 were set as releases or beta tests with a few patches to several of them, and 3 were viable for users: 2.1 Build003, Build10 and Build15. Something in one release of build 13 fixed something for one user, but broke something for another, that fix was removed when the build was incremented to 14. Additionally, I added some checks in build 15 to make the product more consistent and stable. I always strive to make the latest build the most stable, fast and accurate when I release it, but sometimes a build slips out because something was missed. To be clear, we run the most current builds in our shop, building parts every day... so beyond the beta testing, there is often over a week of actual usage in house before a build goes to Release. And some patches or features, like the favorites menu, get rolled in without that testing, because they have no effect on the actual functionality of the software, aside from getting you to a previously used file much quicker.

Build 15 was released Friday around 7:30 pm. I have put a great deal of my own time in solving these issues. Sometimes users find things that are not caught during testing or by beta users. When these things are brought to my attention I walk through the list and correct them. Some are builds, some are patches to existing builds. With each patch the product becomes a little more stable. I still believe that since our first run of Virtual that our control panel is better than any other product on the market. And from what I've tested, ours is now and always has been just a little more consistent and a little more user friendly and a little more stable than the competition.

Best Regards, Joseph Poirier, Software Developer

EdThorne

Re: Issue with SCP 2.1 rel 003

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Joe,

We all owe you a great deal of gratitude for your extraordinary efforts and dedication. SCP V2.1 build 15 is a major improvement over all of the earlier versions.

I appreciate the complexity of the software and hope that my feedback is never viewed as being critical of you or your efforts. I always try to provide information, including examples, and step-by-step procedures for reproducing the problem that I hope will make your job easier. I won't report it if I can't reproduce the problem. I also try to find a workaround whenever possible and report that as well. I will ask questions if I don't understand something.

I am not affiliated with NWA and I'm not a beta tester. I just want you to know that I truly appreciate your dedication and the very long workweeks that you have provided to make this a much improved product. It's obvious to me that you aren't going to stop working on this until it is perfect. I hope that happens soon so that you can enjoy the warm weather, if that ever arrives.

Thank you for taking so much of your time to keep us informed during this process. Even now, on a Sunday, you are spending your time keeping us informed and reviewing code. It's difficult to ask for more. Let me know if you ever come to MA and I'll buy you dinner.

Best regards,
Ed

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

I'm with monitoringpost (Craig) on this. I thought this thing was nailed down and I could go back to cutting wood (which is the purpose of this after all - not helping the manufacturer debug his software). Now I find out that the latest latest version has a (new?) bug that causes the bit to cut 0.020 inch too deep. I wondered today why my sacrificial board had a deeper gouge in it than I expected.

I've decided to quit looking at this board for about six months or so until the dust settles on this (no pun intended). I'm going to dump all eight versions of V2.1 Build 15 I have on my computer. I'm going to reinstall V2.01 (again!) and no matter how many times I'm told that this particular version of V2.1 Build 15 is the best version ever, I'm going to happily cut wood with my older version.
Kevin

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

Well Build 15 is solid, released 2015 Friday April 24th @ 7:30 pm, and I have no reason to change it at this time, but you must set your [Preferences] [Touchplate thickness] to ensure everything will provide the results you expect.

For all machines and controllers there is a signal difference from one machine to another. If it's reported back to me that everyone is getting a .02 offset too deep, I will ask is that in mm or inches. What I'm seeing appears to be a driver issue, which is why I had to adjust internally. And moving the internal offset to a process the user's can verify to ensure their machines are cutting perfect everytime is what made the most sense. I'm giving you the power to make an adjustment if your system is outside the average. Seems like a smart way to do it, something no one can really complain about... and it boils down to hardware tolerances. I only wish you all the best possible experience.

Mimbler

Post by Mimbler »

Joseph, speaking for myself, having the user set the touch plate thickness makes the most sense. Some of us will want zero a hair above the work, some dead on, and some want it a hair into the work. So even without the .02 offset problem, most of us would want to optimize it to our desires anyway.
BTW, my .02 offset is in inches, but touchplate works great with the preference set to accomodate that!
Mike
Joseph Poirier wrote:Well Build 15 is solid, released 2015 Friday April 24th @ 7:30 pm, and I have no reason to change it at this time, but you must set your [Preferences] [Touchplate thickness] to ensure everything will provide the results you expect.

For all machines and controllers there is a signal difference from one machine to another. If it's reported back to me that everyone is getting a .02 offset too deep, I will ask is that in mm or inches. What I'm seeing appears to be a driver issue, which is why I had to adjust internally. And moving the internal offset to a process the user's can verify to ensure their machines are cutting perfect everytime is what made the most sense. I'm giving you the power to make an adjustment if your system is outside the average. Seems like a smart way to do it, something no one can really complain about... and it boils down to hardware tolerances. I only wish you all the best possible experience.

Joseph Poirier

v2.1 Build16

Post by Joseph Poirier »

So everyone knows I take all feedback seriously... update has been posted...
[2.1][16]
: Preferences update...
1 changed if statements, so ignored values will revert to last saved value, instead of default settings.
2 Updated Virtual points to flip back and forth from inches to millimeters with default unit unitSize change.
3 Added option for user to set grid line spacing.

: Grid Lines...
1 Turned grid lines on, added checkmark to Grid line menu item.
2 updated gridline function to allow users to enter decimal values.
Last edited by Joseph Poirier on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Yep, I think Joseph's got it with build #16. He's dealt with the issues I reported to him directly and then some.

At the end of the day I think we all want a package that performs to our own expectations and those of the CNC community. That may involve some criticism back and forth, I certainly don't think anyone means it in a personal way its just happens. If in the end we end up with a superior product than I say it's probably been worth it. I certainly have spent more time in the past couple weeks testing than I think I ever have but with that my confidence over all has strengthened. My fingers are crossed that nothing new pops up and all concerned can enjoy their machines.
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Poirier

CP 2.1 Build 22

Post by Joseph Poirier »

Build 22 was released with a few patches for Windows 10.

fixed runaway jog issue. rolled in 1 month older drivers and changed a process.

fixed an issue in virtual and 4th axis where the router would move up then down and up before doing detect touchplate for a point. I noticed that issue and removed it.

Also added a jog toward material button to the detect touchplate window for point collection.
Last edited by Joseph Poirier on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EdThorne

Re: CP 2.1 Build 18

Post by EdThorne »

Joseph Poirier wrote:Build 18 was released with a few patches for Windows 10.

fixed runaway jog issue. rolled in 1 month older drivers and changed a process.

fixed an issue in virtual and 4th axis where the router would move up then down and up before doing detect touchplate for a point. I noticed that issue and removed it.

Also added a jog toward material button to the detect touchplate window for point collection.
Hi Joe,

Great to see you fixing issues. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 but haven't used the CNC lately. I just went in to update to Build 18 and noticed that we are now on Build 22. Are there additional fixes in this build? Do any outstanding bugs and workarounds exist?

Thank you,
Ed

Joseph Poirier

CP 2.1 Build 22

Post by Joseph Poirier »

thx Ed, it was Build 22... I keep calling it 18 because the was the Build number that I worked on for the longest period of time, but all above was referring to Build 22. No release was done prior to that, and no patch has been required since.