vectric 8

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gpeck

vectric 8

Post by gpeck »

Has anyone used the new vectric 8? Is it worth the 175.00... Thanks for any info....

wdmcarth

Re: vectric 8

Post by wdmcarth »

The only notable difference I have observed so far is the ability to carve 3D files. If you have Aspire, may not be worth.

kenypete

Post by kenypete »

If you Go to Forum.vectric.com there are several posts from users who are very pleased with the newest release of both VCarve Pro and Aspire. Most are saying it is well worth the cost.

Ken

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I haven't had time to get into it yet. I just upgraded to version 7.5 last month and never used it before the 8.0 came out. They gave me the 8.0 so I took it LOL It comes with a pretty good size bunch of clip art and 3d stuff so I am going to say that it is well worth the upgrade especially if you were like me and hanging back at 6.5 for the longest time. The big step that 7.5 added for my wants was to be able to engrave on a curved surface that is imported. The have taken it a step further enabling you to import multiple 3d files and create overlapped complex design from them. Carving 3d in VCarve has been available since about 6.0 but the overlapping feature is something new. I think if I didn't need that it might be harder for me to decide to go from 7.5 to 8.0 but then again the clipart collection (both 2d shapes and 3d) can save a lot of time and add to your abilities, so any lack of perceived program value (not to say that there is any lack) is made up for with the freebie stuff to more than make it worth the money. All that being said without any experience with the program yet..... but also noting that I tend not to like to jump on upgrade deals right away until I am convinced that I NEED to spend the money on them.

Roger

*Additional comments*
I just watched the tutorial video on Vectric ( http://www.vectric.com/products/vcp/wha ... tsNew.html ) and if you ever cut 3d projects before using Cut3d and imported them into VCarve to use along with the rest of your engraving, and if that doesn't give you shivers then you may need to see a doctor!! It may have just killed my desire to upgrade to Aspire, or at least for a few more months.... which is good because I am not sure I will ever be able to afford it anyway. I'm really excited about the upgrade, but drats :( I have to fix my Dewalt random orbital sander today and work on some American Legion Desk Nameplates. So maybe tomorrow.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Ratters

Post by Ratters »

Has anyone had any problems with v8 talking to the shark control panel. Mine does't seem to want to communicate. :cry:

Bob

Post by Bob »

Be sure to re-select the proper post processor.
V8 resets to the first one on the list.
...At least, it did for me.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking too. It may be that the code that is being written (if for another machine) is intelligible to the Shark. I noticed that mine was. Its not exactly an upgrade as much as it is a whole new program. (imo) Other than that near mistake mine has pretty well gone smooth. I have projects that were written in 6.5 that I moved to 8.0 to finish and actually cut and have had no problem yet.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Ratters - are you having problems with VCarve Pro 8 'talking' to the SCP - when sending the toolpath output direct to machine? Are you using the SCP 1.x or 2.x?

Sparkie113

Post by Sparkie113 »

I downloaded Vectric 8 and when i did my Shark would no longer same more that one tool path in the project.
It only sends the 1st tool path to the Shark.
to keep going i need to run the 1st tool path then delete it and move onto the next to complete the project.
Has anyone else had this problem?

BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Sparkie113 wrote:I downloaded Vectric 8 and when i did my Shark would no longer same more that one tool path in the project.
It only sends the 1st tool path to the Shark.
to keep going i need to run the 1st tool path then delete it and move onto the next to complete the project.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Hi,

This sounds as though you don't have the 'Output all visible toolpaths to one file' option checked on the Save Toolpaths dialog.

Brian