Units mismatch at startup, v2.10

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

EdThorne

Re: Units mismatch at startup, v2.10

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Kevin, I'll get to this tonight and let you know what I find.
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Kevin,
Sorry to be so late but today was a long day at work.

First, I ran your TAP file and I can verify that I see a real problem when setting collection points to "Image Cutting Area." The CNC is supposed to move to the lower left corner for the first position but instead moves to the extreme rear right and continues running beyond the limits of my Mako Shark. So, the machine is actually going completely in the wrong direction in both the x and y axes. It is also interesting to note that you need to press the software E-Stop button twice in order for the system to actually stop. Pressing once causes a brief pause before automatically continuing. Pressing a second time forces an immediate stop with correct prompts.

This being said, I tried to repeat the same test setting the collection points to "Material Edge" and everything works properly. Let's send this along to Joe and see what he finds.

The TAP file that I sent to you does not exhibit this behavior.
Regards,
Ed

PS: Can you also send my your CRV file so that I can create the TAP file just to see if I get the same results? Thank you!!

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Kevin,

I sent a message to Joe with the details. Please send me your CRV file so that we can eliminate potential differences in our post-processor. I'm using Aspire 8.014 and believe that this can read any V-carve or Aspire file that you may send to me. If you prefer not to post it then send me a PM and I'll provide my email address.

Regards,
Ed

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

Ed,
Attached is the .crv file in question. I did remove parts that were not cut with the .tap file I uploaded yesterday, so it's now a simple file with two drilled holes. The .tap file generated should be identical with the original, which means it should also take off like a bat out of hell, smashing into whatever gets in its way if you don't hit the EB fast enough!
I've confirmed that other tap files work OK with the latest version of control panel (I would tell you the version number but there's no revision control on this software). Until I know why this is happening I'm going back again to V2.01.
I am using VCarve Pro 8.013 and my PP is CNCShark-USB NewArcs (inch).

If this particular tap file is corrupted somehow, I don't understand why it works fine with V2.01.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Regards,
Kevin
Attachments
1-8 Ply.crv
(249.5 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Hi Kevin,
Your CRV file requires 2 TAP files. Both work perfectly with the collection points set to "Material Edge." One also works fine with the collection points set to "Image Cutting Area." The one that simply drills the two holes takes off out of control when the collection points are set to "Image Cutting Area."

So, I simplified the CRV file to just do two holes spaced one inch apart. The resulting TAP file works fine with the collection points set to "Material Edge" but runs away uncontrolled when the collection points are set to "Image Cutting Area."

Let's see if Joe will take a look at this and tell us what is happening. These are very simple CRV file and TAP files. I am using SCP V2.1 Build 14. I see no available update to build 15.

Can anyone else verify the issue that we are observing. I didn't use a tool in the router and kept the router a couple of inches above the table. This prevents damage to the equipment. KEEP body parts out of the way, too.

1. Start the SCP
2. Under preferences, Virtual Tab, select "Image Cutting Area" for collection points
3. Load the TAP file without Virtual
4. READ THIS ENTIRELY BEFORE STARTING: Click the check box in the lower left that enables "Virtual" but be ready to hit the E-Stop as it will run to the upper right corner instead of to the first lower-left point. You will have to hit the software E-Stop multiple times to stop the movement. Once stopped, press "Cancel" button and the next move will be back to the safe position.

Repeat the above but in step 2, set collection points to "Material Edge." This should work properly.

Regards,
Ed
Attachments
Test.crv
Simple CRV file that Drills two holes spaced 1 inch apart
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Test Drill.tap
Resulting TAP file
(935 Bytes) Downloaded 266 times

Joseph Poirier

Build15 Released.

Post by Joseph Poirier »

I've patched the process that parses the files and bullet-proofed collection, so the system can't send a CNC Gantry into the outer limits of the CNC when it doesn't get any usable values from the GCode .tap file it's reading.

The results of the changes are about 3x (3 times) the display load speed from the previous process. That's approximately 1 second to process every 10,000 lines of GCode.

In addition, I removed some code from the Detect Touchplate process, which hasn't been working quite the same with all the performance tweaks and new drivers and firmware as it did in the past... Had to move my internal offsets for Virtual and AAxis there.

Virtual has been tested and is working well. There will be another math update to virtual in the future to improve angled cut performance. Other than that, you can consider Virtual to be completely bug free, at least from my tests today.

Feel free to comment after you download and test the update for yourself.

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

Where is the link to V2.1 Build 15

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

OK, Joe, I tried V2.1 Build 15 and it looks like it solved the runaway "Bat out of Hell" problem. Congrats. The only issue I see now is that it is still saving the last Virtual readings in mm instead of inches even when inches are set in Preferences.
Regards,
Kevin

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

yes... they are all saved in millimeters, but are converted for your collection screen, the one with the red dots that turn into green dots with checkmarks.

The [Preferences] [Virtual] screen is set to displays the native format of the file storage. it is not a bug, but I can see your point... it should probably be set to display in the format of the default units. I will consider the change.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you, Joe! Working great.