VCarve Desktop 8.0

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

whittyone

VCarve Desktop 8.0

Post by whittyone »

Just bought a CNC Shark and have a question about the Software. When I ordered it, the machine was supposed to come with VCarve Desktop 8, VCarve Pro 7.5 and cut 3D. The only software received was VCarve Desktop 8. I contacted support and they told me VCarve Desktop 8 replaces VCarve Pro 7.5 and cut 3D, The tech told me he was sorry for the confusion and they updated the Rockler website. Looking at the Vectric website, it looks as if VCarve Pro 8 would be the replacement not VCarve Desktop 8. Since I'm new to CNC can someone help clarify this for me. This is not a good way to start. Thanks in advance.

4DThinker

Re: VCarve Desktop 8.0

Post by 4DThinker »

http://www.vectric.com/products/desktop ... rison.html

If you were planning on adding a rotary axis, or doing anything on the list of things that desktop doesn't support then complain loudly. VCarve Pro does now do what Cut3D did but the Desktop version does not. As far as I can tell Vectric came out with the desktop version as a cheaper way to get folks buying inexpensive and small CNCs hooked on their software, but the limitations it has don't even seem to match the Shark's 25" x 25" stated cutting capacity, I could predict when I saw it that other CNC makers not currently including any CAM software would start offering Desktop, but also that folks like NextWave would "step down" to it perhaps not just to raise their profit margin but under the mistaken belief that it is "just like" VCarve Pro. IMO they could have saved money by not including Cut3D but should have kept VCarve Pro 8 in the bundle. If Desktop is all they are including then they've gone from $1000 worth of software to $349 and should be lowering the price of Sharks by $650. Rockler now has updated their site to state "Desktop 8" as the only software offered but a Shark HD3.0 is still $3999. IMO that's a HUGE money grab. And "CNC Machine Travel: XYZ travel: 25'' x 25'' x 7'' in theory is NOT a capacity the Desktop version was made to work with. Note that the extended Shark comes with VCarve Pro 8.

Complain loudly. If your order preceded their changes to Rockler's website then you deserve Vcarve Pro. A Shark with Desktop is not the great value it used to be. jMHO.

On a related note, it appears that despite this statement: You mostly work on parts that are smaller than 24” x 24” (600mm x 600mm), the Desktop version might actually support up to 25" by 25" toolpathing, as under the Pro features they say this: Unlimited physical job or toolpath size (no 25” x 25” limit) as a reference back to the Desktop version. Desktop looks more and more like a version aimed right at Rocker/NextWave.

4D

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I downloaded and installed the Desktop Trial just to see what the specific differences are:

One big difference is that there is no Gadget menu.
The software warns you if creating a job larger than 25" x 25" that it won't output toolpaths and that tiling will be required.
You can create a larger job, but as soon as you try to save toolpaths it warns you to tile anything beyond 25" x 25".
No Plate or Nesting functions.
No Merge Toolpath function.
No Template functions at all.
No Wrapped/Rotary setup or viewing. I don't know if you would be prevented from still saving to a rotary post processor though.

You do get all the previous and new editing features in VCarve Pro 8. You can import 3D models just like in Vcarve Pro, meaning you don't need cut3D.

I'm no commercial user, but I do rely on Gadgets, nesting of small parts within the 25" limits, and love the Merge toolpaths function. I wouldn't be crippled if suddenly I had to use the Desktop version with my Shark, but I'd be wounded and handicapped to a degree.

4D

whittyone

Post by whittyone »

Thank you, I appreciate the replies. After I contacted support and spoke with Dave, he stated the website was confusing and it was changed afterwards. I didn't see any confusion, it strictly stated that the 3 programs were included. I have been researching this machine for about a year and downloaded the trial version of VCarve Pro 7.5, VCarve desktop is definitely different, but am new to CNC and wanted to make sure. I was hoping they just made a mistake and forgot to include VCarve Pro, I will continue to pursue the issue. This is a personal machine and an addition I've waited a long time for, the software bundle is what sold me, now I'm feeling a bit cheated. I am hoping they realize they made a mistake, I bought it directly from Rockler and thought they had a pretty good reputation.

whittyone

Post by whittyone »

Just wanted to send an update. After contacting Rockler tech support again, they told me today they will be sending VCARVE PRO 7.5. I appreciate the support given from both the main store and the support hotline. It's been about two weeks since I got my machine and I've gotten pretty good with the basics, looking forward to future projects.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Glad you got some satisfaction. When you register 7.5 you should be able to update for free to 8.0. They'll send you an email notice, but it may take them a few days.

lakeflake209

Post by lakeflake209 »

I may be mistaken (I've been told that many times in my lifespan) but once you get Pro 7.5 you should be able to upgrade to 8.0 at no cost. At least that's what I heard at a Rockler store last weekend. Vectric (the maker of V-Carve) has a free for a year upgrade policy so your 7.5 should be a completely free upgrade to 8.0. I've not been doing too much with 8.0 since it came out in spring of this year but what I have done does seem great.
New item: If you've bought a Shark, either through Rockler or direct from NextWave automation, check out their upgraded controller software V2.1 (old version was 2.0). It has some good features which I saw last weekend at the demonstration at the local Rockler store. The JOG function now can move not just directly north/south/east/west but also northeast, northwest, southwest and southeast. Makes it a little easier to get to a specific start point on the workpiece. Also has a few other functions that are new. You might have to ask NextWave for it as I didn't find it on their website but only got it through a request. You'll also have to re-register the controller with them after installing v2.1 but worth the slight extra steps.