Bought a used CncShark with no software

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sdsherer

Bought a used CncShark with no software

Post by sdsherer »

Hi. I got a good deal on a Shark but they did not have software (I supplied the computer.) I've acquired the CncShark Control Panel software and verified that the machine works. What I am looking for is some advice on CAD/CAM software for the machine. I know about the Vectric products but my budget at this point won't permit that $$$ outlay. I'd like to do some simple routing of wood (signs, etc.)

So, anybody out there using something non-Vectric that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Open source would be great but not necessary. I have been all around the Interwebs and there seem to be lots of options but I'd like to hear from actual Shark users. Seems "gcode is gcode is gcode" is not always true.

So, if you're using a free or less expensive CAD/CAM program/process and can convert to gcode that Shark actually likes without modification, perhaps you can weigh in and given me your opinion. I would be interested in hearing about your process.

I did search this forum, but couldn't find a similar thread. If there is one, point me to it.......

Thanks.

SD

McBuster

Re: Bought a used CncShark with no software

Post by McBuster »

sdsherer wrote:a free or less expensive CAD/CAM program/process and can convert to GCode that Shark actually likes without modification
A large Factor in this equation, is to be aware of what is called a "Post Processor" File. I am only familiar with Vectric Software, but this File is mandatory to convert the internal GCode in Vectric to GCode the Shark will like.

Another way to fetch VCarve, is to look on eBay and other places for a copy. Maybe even an older copy. Then, at some point, fetch the Updates to it. Or, use one of the other less expensive products from Vectric.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Rando

Post by Rando »

It all depends on what you're trying to do. I recently switched to using AutoDesk Fusion 360 for my 3D modelling (I do 3D printing as well as using the Shark for more-traditional machining). It's a pretty decent package for 3D work, and it's "free" in the sense it doesn't cost money. Their cloud implementation still has some gotchas (like an entire morning where it wouldn't log in, so it wouldn't retrieve my designs :( ). It can generate toolpaths, but I haven't looked at them because...

I've started using BobCAD-CAM...which is actually very expensive when compared to free, but the toolpaths created are amazing.

The Vectric software is designed mostly for woodworking/carving, and has a nice easy user interface. But, they have invested a lot less in their toolpath-generation methods, and seem to be about 5-8 years behind the others. Modern packages have "High Speed Machining", "Trochoidal" (/truk-oid-ul/) tool paths that greatly reduce the stress on both the bit and the machine, while cutting the part much faster.

One resource I found useful when researching the switch from Vectric as this post on CNCCookbook:

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2015/05/24/ ... -software/

Best of luck; I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits your needs...somewhere! :D.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Rando

Post by Rando »

McBuster wrote:
sdsherer wrote:a free or less expensive CAD/CAM program/process and can convert to GCode that Shark actually likes without modification
A large Factor in this equation, is to be aware of what is called a "Post Processor" File. I am only familiar with Vectric Software, but this File is mandatory to convert the internal GCode in Vectric to GCode the Shark will like.

Another way to fetch VCarve, is to look on eBay and other places for a copy. Maybe even an older copy. Then, at some point, fetch the Updates to it. Or, use one of the other less expensive products from Vectric.
McBuster's right!

If you take the time to learn the basic GCode commands, doing the post-processor is usually pretty straightforward. Learning at least the basic GCode commands will greatly help understand what the machine is doing and why. I've had to slightly modify the post-processors for every piece of software I've used so far, because of how my machine is setup, and while initially confusing, ultimately, it boils down to this:

A) The design software internally creates "generic" move instructions that assumes all the base functionality is present in the machine.
B) when the software goes to write the GCode (tap, nc, etc.) file, it looks in the post-processor file to find an entry that matches the operation it's trying to perform.
C) The post-processor file contains often-simple commands that let the software translate from a generic operation, to actual machine GCode.
D) The resulting machine GCode goes into the tap file.

Inside the post-processors, there are also variable definitions. Things like feed-rate, X/Y/Z-positions, and so on. Those variable names are used inside the (C) translations so the software can put the values it needs into the GCode commands.

Basically, they seem to all work that way. Some are more complicated than others. But, because literally every machine has to have a post-processor, every software company I've used so far provides pretty complete information about how to modify the post processors. Some, if their format is long or confusion, will even make you one for free...if you're a paying customer ;-).

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

To be clear, I did not mean to modify nor write your own Post Processor. Just be aware, software like Vectric needs this to create the ToolPath for your Cnc Controller. The Cnc Folks normally supply this or, work with companies like Vectric who then packages this specific one with their Software Install. In my install of VCarve, there are 398 Post Processor Files of which I use only the one I need for my Cnc.

So. If you buy ElCheapoCnc Software, either they, or NWA will have to provide something to convert the GCode to your needs.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn