File Formats and Extensions

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

File Formats and Extensions

Post by bill z »

Hi all. I am so new that I don’t know what questions to ask. Please know that I'm so excited to be here!!

Yes, I am just now ordering my Piranha. It was suggested that I start by becoming familiar with some CAD and CAM software. I’ve never played with CAD, CAM or G-code software in the past.

In the past I have taken PDF files, printed them, cut out the items, glued them to the wood and cut using a jig saw or band saw. I’m really looking forward to the CNC machine doing better than I have done.

So, I looked around for some free or trial CAD software that would read in a PDF. I thumped around some, not getting much of anywhere, and then tried to save my work. There were so many output file options. I’m sure each has an advantage. Problem is that I don’t know where to go to find the advantage to each. I’m guessing that all I really need to know at this point is which one or two is the better.

The Support website for Vectric software, for Aspire and VCarvePro, says: ‘to capture the image and save in a format that can be imported.’ And: ‘export or ‘Save As’ in a format that can be imported successfully.’

What file format is better to use and transfer files between most CAD and CAM software (import and export)?

Any help and direction here will be much appreciated. Maybe some URLs to sites to explain these best.

tonydude

Re: File Formats and Extensions

Post by tonydude »

Check out the trial software in vectric. Download vcarve and play with it. http://www.vectric.com/downloads/trial-software.html also check out the tutorials great help there. withhttp://support.vectric.com/training-material

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

bill z

Re: File Formats and Extensions

Post by bill z »

After spending some time looking around (really not knowing what is out there), sort of like a country boy's first visit to the big city, I found a bunch but still doesn't help much.

Now, I'm not much of an artist, so I will depend on others to help me get started. I found GrabCAD but most of their stuff has an extension of SLDPRT. A little research told me that the files were from Solid Works (not the software I have). And Aspire8.0 (software I do have) doesn't support SLDPRT.

A friend told me that FreeCAD would take a SLDPRT, but the latest version that I downloaded doesn't.

Round and around and around....

What software will convert SLDPRT to something Aspire will use?

Any suggestions?