Computer lock up

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Ratters

Computer lock up

Post by Ratters »

I just upgraded my computer from XP to Windows 8. I start a job and the computer locks up after a few minutes. The job keeps running but I have no control or status. I have turned all the power save features off including USB. Still locks up. Sleep is off. Any ideas?

jimily

Re: Computer lock up

Post by jimily »

Time it. Really, does it lock up the same time every time, or thereabouts? Check your task manager during this lockup period and see if the memory is maxed out or if something else is maxed out. That might be a clue as to what is happening. Windows 8 is so confabulated anyway it itself might be the issue. What version of Control Panel are you running? And I suppose NWA might suggest a control box mem card replacement. Does the machine do everything else without issue? Printing, or other USB things?

Also, unplug it from the network and try a job to see. You might also check to see if the USB is recognized correctly in the Hardware List, not just listed as generic USB (although really that too should work at v2.0). And somewhere I read to get rid of any wireless mice or keyboards-I think that's an RF interference thing though that could interfere with your USB data being transferred. Is it plugged into a UPS by chance?

Defrag, cleanup etc all the regular maintenance things, check what is starting up and dump anything not being used.

I dunno there's so many things it could be, especially from an upgrade, start by eliminating what it is not and then move on, it'll get ironed out if you stick with it. Right now you want to establish a consistent facts of behavior and the cause will show itself.

Stay with it!
Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP