Scanning technology usage discussion

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Scanning technology usage discussion

Post by NewAgent45 »

I’d like to open a discussion on scanning technology including the touch probe. I find very little information on this on this forum or at the NWA site.

About 3 weeks ago I posted information on my first Rifle Stock inlay project.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4566

In this project I combined two 3D models and cut the composite on the inlayed part. I’m wondering how I could cut a suitable 3D model directly on the stock. I can see that a dished model might work as is but would not be a perfect solution.

I’m thinking if we had a 3D model of the portion of the stock you want to carve you could combine the two models.
This got me thinking about the touch probe. But I see that the touch probe generates an STL file which would not be compatible with the VCarve Pro modeling combine tools. These tool only supports *.V3M format.

I also have a second similar inlay problem. Suppose I wanted to inlay a curved belt buckle with the protruding bottom hardware removed. How would you cut a pocket that roughly matches the bottom profile of the buckle? I do have one thought on doing this. I can use the fluting toolpath in a similar way as previously discussed in my Flute Toolpath usage post

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4548

Is it be possible to use the touch probe to scan the bottom side of the belt buckle import the STL file to VCarve Pro and invert the model.

I don’t have a touch probe and I’m very interested in how you might be using it.

I have also seen other scanning devices in use and scanning service. I would be interested in all the other options.
Do you know any one that can scan as a service and offer a VCarve compatible model format?

For now it looks like I’m in over my head.

Have a great day!
… Rod