Power failure

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

edjansenosb

Power failure

Post by edjansenosb »

ASKING FOR YOUR THOUGHTS:
I know this has happened to many, so I’m not feeling alone in this mess. At a point during the carve we had a power failure. It only lasted a second, but we lost our XYZO. (see picture). We use the CNC Shark and there is no way, I know of, to recover the XYZO once the controller shuts down.
I tried my best to guess at the XY0 (center). I then created an offset outside of the final profile cut. I then created a tool path with a small ball nose that went .05” around the offset. When I ran the tool path I saw where I was off on my guess work and made the adjustments. We’re now running the final 3D cut. Will let you know how it turns out, but looks great so far.
So my question is this: Running the CNC Shark and Aspire, is there anything else I could have done? My mentor suggested using the corner for XOYO instead of the center, but that still requires guess work.

Father Ed
Attachments
Power failure.jpg

Kevink18

Re: Power failure

Post by Kevink18 »

Battery back up

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

If you fined this happens often, and don't want the expense of a battery backup, the only thing I can think of is to mark your XY position with an awl and if you loose power you can always reset it using the small indentation you made. If you're careful enough, you might be able to reset XY. It would be difficult but that;s the only thing I can think of that MIGHT work.
Rick

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

If you set your start point at the corner as suggested, you can use the first tool you plan to use and make a shallow drill tool path at the start point. This will make a small indentation that will make it a bit easier to line up if you have to start over after a power failure. If needed, jog the head to get to your starting point to match the indent, then don't forget to reset your Z to the surface of the material. Since you're using the same tool for the drill path as the first cut, the drill tool path can be combined within the first path and wouldn't add a lot of time or hassle.This is obviously only a workaround if you can make the cut outside the finished carve.

A small backup battery is probably a good idea if you have hits like this enough to be a real nuisance, good luck.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

The best way by far, in my opinion is to have a UPS. Personally, I use a 1500va model with sine wave output (motors tend not to do well with modified or stepped square wave.) There are all kinds of theories and possibilities and what ifs but when it comes down to it, a one second power outage would have never been noticed or a problem with a UPS attached to it. For longer power failures, at least you have the ability to shut down and go to zero before the backup time runs out. Corner zeros are fine for some situations and center zeros are good if you aren't cutting your zero point away, as I assume you were in this particular work-piece. You just have to set up your system to cover the most likely scenarios and the most disastrous situations that are easily avoidable. There is no way you can cover all situations, well except with a UPS that is backed up by a power generator, but it gets pretty hard to justify if the problem only occurs once every 5 years. But the couple times a month problems that can be solved for $150, its pretty easy to pay it, smile and go one about carving. Just an opinion, but one I made early on. Not sure how many times it has saved a project, not over significant power outages but rather the quick "flickers" like you experienced.

Roger

Btw, very nicely designed project from what I could see.
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com