Help on Edge cutting toolpaths

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Help on Edge cutting toolpaths

Post by NewAgent45 »

I'd like to do some edge cutting on the CNC Shark. I'm doing some tests using an edge fluting bit and also an edge slotting bit. Some of this work might also be done on my router table but in some cases the material is to small to safely accomplish on the router table. In other cases I would like to do this type of edge treatment on an irregular shaped piece pre-cut on the CNC machine. The testing I did I used a simple circular disk. So far we have only tested cutting air with z zeroed above the material. My technique is described below and the attached picture.

I created two Edge Fluting toolpaths with zero set to lower left hand corner and z is zeroed at the depth you want to cut and cutting depth is 0.0. We also set rapid Z clearance to the minimum value of 0.001” and Home/start z to 0.001. We recognize this is a small error. We made sure the “use vector start points” unselected so movement from zero would not move across the material. We wanted to make two passes and found that they needed to be run as separate tool paths to insure we started from zero otherwise we found that running the combined tool path the first would finish and then move across the material to start the second toolpath. This looks like it will work after making a couple runs in air (zeroed above the material)

The question! Is there a better way to carve edges?
Edge Fluting test details
Edge Fluting test details
Have a great weekend!

..... Rod

NewAgent45

Re: Help on Edge cutting toolpaths - update

Post by NewAgent45 »

This morning we successfully completed an edge cutting test. We used a 3/16 slot cutting bit we had on hand for the test and the setting were similar to the ones shown in the initial post. I should caution you if you decide to run an edge cutting toolpath minimizing the clearance and home/start z position settings. I you create any other standard toolpaths in the same VCP file. You need to set these setting back to the normal settings. You will get a warning message to recalculate all toolpaths. Do not recalculate the edge cutting toolpaths. Perform an update on each of the other toolpaths from the edit toolpath display.

I'm attaching a picture of the simple finished edge slot and also a short video showing the setup. Not I added screws to mount the material to the spoilboard for the edge cutting toolpaths.

Link for video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPeScbr ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
Edge slotting test piece
Edge slotting test piece

NewAgent45

Re: Help on Edge cutting toolpaths - Form Tool

Post by NewAgent45 »

Relative to my 2 previous posts!

I’m trying to understand differences for “form cutters” / form tools defined (Pg 241) the VCP v8.1 Reference_Manual. The manual references “user definable custom shapes can be used for edge profiling”.

This sounds like I need to define several of my custom bits this way. If I define the following 3 bits as “form cutters” (edge fluting bit, pointed round-over bit, edge-slotting bit) does the software define tool paths for an edge cutting and avoid plunge retract moves when the cutter is engaged into the edge of the defined toolpath? Does the software use the user defined drawing of the tool for this? Please advise!

Do I need to contact Vectric Tech-support for this?
….. Rod

NewAgent45

Re: Help on Edge cutting toolpaths - Update on Form tools

Post by NewAgent45 »

I attempted to add some "form tools" to my database with some success. I still don't know exactly what the toolpath behavior will be.

I was able to enter both a pointed round-over bit and edge slotting bit as shown in my first picture. But ran into issues with the edge fluting bit and an error was generated. I tried a couple different ways of drawing the shape without success. Second picture!
Form Tool entry 1.jpg
Form Tool entry 2.jpg
.... Rod

Bob

Re: Help on Edge cutting toolpaths

Post by Bob »

Rod,
I think I probably answered your question over here for your other post: http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 882#p26882
Remember, VCarve will not recognize any bit that will undercut. So you will not be able to draw a profile tool that that has a smaller profile on top of a bigger one...Like a keyhole, or dovetail bit profile. Or, your bit, but it will still work.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)