Directly programming the Piranha FX CNC

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

justinlloyd

Directly programming the Piranha FX CNC

Post by justinlloyd »

Please excuse my ignorance if this is the wrong board or forum for this particular subject. Gently direct me to the right area if you find this post inappropriate, and I will gladly take the conversation there.

I own a Piranha FX CNC. Prior to the release of the Universal Control Panel I had been tinkering around with direct control of the machine through some hacked together driver code. Now that the official control panel software has been released by Next Wave Automation, it has provided a wealth of new details on how to write software that can control the Piranha directly from a Windows PC.

I was wondering if anyone else in this forum has any experience with controlling the Piranha or the Shark directly via custom software.

My current development efforts have given me a three point absolute zero reference using the Shark/Piranha zero touch plate.

And I am currently building some custom software that will turn out mortise and tenon joints with a wooden jig (that the CNC can cut itself from MDF) that fit over the bed of the Piranha and guides you through the steps to cut the joints.

Having scoured the internet there doesn't appear to be a public API for the Shark or Piranha, so I've been reverse engineering my own for the Piranha from the Shark Control Panel and some hacked drivers, and now, the recently Piranha control panel and drivers.

I've also developed a 90 degree right angle mount for the Piranha that can rotate the spindle to cut horizontally which works great for dovetails.

So if you want to trade software, source code, or just reverse engineering tips, please let me know either here on the forum, or via my personal email address at justin@justinlloyd.org