My tool path suddenly starts going deeper

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dbchamber

My tool path suddenly starts going deeper

Post by Dbchamber »

Hello, on the last two runs that I have made, my tool path suddenly starts cutting deeper and deeper. The G-code calls for a consistent depth but the bit starts digging in. After I stop the program, I find the my Z0 is off. I can reset the Z0 but it is very scary to suddenly see a .08" cut become a .4" deep cut before I can hit the Estop.

The router is all the way into the clamp and cannot slip down. It appears as if the Z axis is suddenyl deciding to0 move downward but the controller does not realize that the Z is moving down because I lose my Z0.

Luckily, neither incident destroyed my piece because I have over 15 hours in maching a 3D Lamb of God carving and I was doing the outline around the 3D carving.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

tonydude

Re: My tool path suddenly starts going deeper

Post by tonydude »

You could be hitting the upper limit of your z axis, when that happens it thinks it still is going up but in reality it's not.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

bill z

Post by bill z »

When you start loosing any of your zero points (X, Y or Z) start with checking your grounds. Static discharge can do this. The less humidity the worse the static buildup.

Then note any debris in the drive screws or lack of lubrication. Anything here can possibly bump the motor and cause it to skip a pulse.

Let us know what you find.

zehrah

Post by zehrah »

Hello;
Have you checked you router bracket, making sure it is tight? The tool could be pulling the router down into your material.

Zehrah

Good Luck