freeze up

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

newkid

freeze up

Post by newkid »

hey al
i got a problem. during a cut at any time, from a few minutes in, to 30 mins in, the software will stop responding. the g cod will freeze on the screen, and all buttons will go gray and the cut will keep going till its finished. i've checked all the usb's, all is good. I have to power down the box and restart to get controll again. it use to do it a little but it does it all the time now. what do I do?
thanks
newkid

Rando

Re: freeze up

Post by Rando »

I'd first uninstall and then reinstall the USB drivers. If that doesn't work, I'd re-do the firmware update. Others have said screen-savers can be a problem, as can WiFi. I've seen the symptoms you have, but I too haven't figured out why it might have happened. Thankfully, it seems the problem is somewhere in the computer, since the uploaded GCode must be intact for the controller to continue. But, I will admit it feels like driving a car where the steering wheel has just come off!

There is also an obscure setting for USB devices that controls whether they are powered-down when the computer goes to sleep. Ah...this looks like it. Give this a try also:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 9b3ec7b2c8

Ack...that's more than a little geek-speak, so here's the important part:
"There is a way to keep the USB ports active during sleep mode. Simply go into Device Manager, navigate down to Universal Serial Bus controllers. On each USB Root Hub item, right-click and choose Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and un-check the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

newkid

Post by newkid »

Thanks Rando for the info. I will give it a go.
new kid

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Also You may want to turn off background tasks especially the screen saver because it has definitely been known to interfere with operations.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554