Feedrate problems with Aspire

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

grazinghorse

Feedrate problems with Aspire

Post by grazinghorse »

So I am having difficulty resetting the feed rate in to tools menu of Aspire 4.5. I change the feed rate, select apply and it looks changed. I delete the previous tap file, and recreate another and the old feed rate is still in the tap file. So far the only thing that works for sure is to change the feed rate, close down Aspire, AND restart the computer. - A real pain in the butt.

Somewhere along the line I changed a few tools, From IPM to IPS (by acccident) and the tap files are driving the bit supersonic, not to mention the machine probably has difficulty running at 1200 inches minute.

I have about 100 commonly used tap files and many have F1200. Here is my question, can I open the files in Windows Notepad, search and replace all occurrences F1200 with F20? Or is there a risk that would cause me problems? It certainly would be faster than opening the files in Aspire and recalculating all the tool paths.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Grazinghorse
http://www.sevenwindsflutes.com

sharkcutup

Re: Feedrate problems with Aspire

Post by sharkcutup »

I have about 100 commonly used tap files and many have F1200. Here is my question, can I open the files in Windows Notepad, search and replace all occurrences F1200 with F20? Or is there a risk that would cause me problems? It certainly would be faster than opening the files in Aspire and recalculating all the tool paths
I would recommend thinking SAFETY FIRST --- if you were to open files in note pad and try to change all the required F1200 to F20 you could miss some and/or inadvertently change something else without noticing or realizing it --- OOOPs, clang, crash, dang it that project is now scrap or something a whole lot worse - God forbid!!! LOL!

I believe you would be a lot SAFER and probably MORE PRODUCTIVE if you went back and changed them and recalculated them in Aspire. Maybe not all at once, but when you are planning to run that or those particular project files again.

Hope this helps!!! ;)

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Eagle55

Re: Feedrate problems with Aspire

Post by Eagle55 »

Grazinghorse,
Personally I would never attempt to go into tap files and edit values manually. Unless you are really brilliant with g-code, and not only that, but the particular g-code that Next Waves post processor creates then you risk making a bigger mess than what you have now. I would always opt for correcting the situation in the Vectric program and regenerating the tap file. I agree with sharkcutup 100%. And I have seen those who maintain they know g-code forwards and backward, so I realize what I am saying is just my opinion. (That being said, they are not going to run a manually adjusted code on my machine LOL) I guess I would recommend spending any time you might have, in tracking down when the problem started and what all projects it might or might not affect.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

grazinghorse

Re: Feedrate problems with Aspire -

Post by grazinghorse »

Thanks for the advice! I wanted to ask before I crashed my machine. I'll bite the bullet and begin revising as the projects they come up.

Sincerly - thank you for steering me away from a train wreck
Grazinghorse