Aspire V8.007 User Requesting Shortcut Help

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Re: Aspire V8.007 User Requesting Shortcut Help

Post by bill z »

Thanks jeb2cav, sharkcutup, & Bob

I had been clicking on two vectors that should be joined and then right clicking to get the drop down menu where the Join / Close Vector option is. Then I had to select to join with a line, smooth curve or move end points. Just a bunch of clicking.

I do thank you a bunch for your help. You have to know that your ways save me many hours.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Glad to have been able to help!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

FixitMike

Post by FixitMike »

The Join Vectors tool will not work on grouped vectors. Probably because if the vectors are grouped you can't select them one at a time.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

To Group Vectors is just a way to conveniently move many vectors from one place to another as to selecting each individual vector one at a time to move from one place to another. (one example: grouped vectors -- copy and paste to move from one layer to another layer)

I myself do not believe Group was ever intended to be used for joining vectors.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

Bill,
I use the "Join" command a lot to connect the individual vectors of a gear. I see others have correctly pointed you to this command. I'll add the following. Note the tolerance block in the Join command. I always start with that number about 0.001 and then slowly increase it if all of the vectors are not joined. This value sets the maximum distance between adjacent points that will be connected. I start out with a small number because the program connects the points with a straight line and if you have slightly overlapping vectors you could get weird results when you try to cut the gear if it connects overlapping points.
Usually the Join command works well on my .dxf gears using a small tolerance, but if it doesn't connect the vectors I go back and fix the gear in my CAD program.
I hope this makes sense to you.

Kevin

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks KevenO.

I didn't know about adjusting the tolerance in the join.

Seems I am always trying to get my cutting done without trying to click on or trying things.

Thanks again.