Unigraphics

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GrandpaB

Unigraphics

Post by GrandpaB »

I am using Unigraphics to create the G-code for my Shark HD. I have to change the file extension from txt to tap to make it work. However about half the time when I run the program I get the following warning: Turn on Router and hit OK. I can't figure out why I often get this warning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Re: Unigraphics

Post by Bob »

To answer the second half of your question, this warning always comes on when I run programs.
I have no clue about the first half.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

GrandpaB,

Which version of the control software are you using? It looks like the original V1.6 software has the warning to turn on the router and then hit OK. I use V2.0 software and that just says to click OK to start running.

If you have the Shark Pro Plus, that has a power socket in the back of the control box that automatically turns the router on at the start and off when the job is done. I don't believe that the original Shark has that socket, which is probably why they had the warning reminder in the software. Nobody wants to ruin a perfectly good end mill or an expensive piece of wood because they forgot to turn on the router beforehand.
I doubt that the warning dialogue is related to the fact that you're using Unigraphics to create the G-Code.

Anyway, the bottom line is look at the warning dialogue as a feature instead of a bug and carry on cutting chips!

Kevin

Rando

Post by Rando »

The Shark Control Panel software is looking for an M03 (spindle ON Clockwise) in the early lines of the GCode (before any actual moves). I'm not familiar enough with that package to know how to properly get it in there; usually it's placed in the post-processor file.

The Shark "likes" to have an M3 near the top, and an M05 (turn spindle off) and M02 (end of program) down at the very bottom of the file.

Because I'm a post-processor-editing dweeb, I also add an M06 T01 (tool change) right before the cutting starts. The Shark, obviously, doesn't have a tool changer, so it doesn't **really** load tool 01. Instead, that code pauses the control panel software, and waits for me to tap "Continue". This way, if the chip blower, or the lubricant mister aren't ready for a cut, or if the spindle isn't fully up to speed (or it's still turned off!), I can fix that before the machine starts. Just a sanity-check thing :D.

Hope that helps,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)