Laser Images on chc shark hd4

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sudo

Laser Images on chc shark hd4

Post by sudo »

Hello,

Im looking for documentation on using the laser module on the cnc shark hd4 to create an image.

I see this forum:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4753

Unfortunately, its for a different model. And the hd4 uses the pendant, not the control panel software.

Can anyone point me in a direction? Im using v-carve pro.

Thanks in advance.

tpulley

Re: Laser Images on chc shark hd4

Post by tpulley »

Here you go. I set mine up today. It was easier than I thought it would be. I used this file and it worked flawlessly. I cut two projects testing this new feature out.
Attachments
CNCShark_Piranha_Laser_How_to_Guide.pdf
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 8000 times
HD4 extended, Vcarve pro 8.5, 4th axis, Laser. Learning everyday...

sudo

Post by sudo »

Thanks for the response. I do have this guide, but I dont think it has what Im after.

The guide outlines the process to laser engrave. But I want to do an image. Im familiar with setting the laser power and speed, but I would assume that an image would use varying degrees of power to create the shadows, etc.

I know I can take an image and bitmap trace it, but that seems like it will give shotty results at best. No where near the picture quality Im after.

Basically I want to print a picture with the laser, not engrave a solid image. I believe the advertisement for the laser engraver features an image of someones childs photo done on wood.

Thanks again!

sudo

Post by sudo »

I checked the catalog I was referring to but the image was associated with another laser printer.

Has anyone been able to use the laser engraver to get picture quality?

My aim is to get a nice 18 x 24 Norm Abram up on the shop wall. Something I think all shops need :)

sudo

Post by sudo »

Looks like vcarve photo might be what im after. I see the tuts on cutting Lithophanes. Will this work with the laser engraver as well?

BrianM

Post by BrianM »

sudo wrote:Looks like vcarve photo might be what im after. I see the tuts on cutting Lithophanes. Will this work with the laser engraver as well?
PhotoVCarve is NOT suitable to use with a laser. The lithophanes require a ballnose cuter to create the 3d surface which gives the lithophane effect and the output from photovcarve will not modulate the power of the laser to generate any form of 3d surface. The PhotoVCarve style picture engraving will also not work with a laser as it relies on the toolshape cutting different widths of lines at different z depths. If the toolpath was output to the laser you would just get a load of parallel lines.

Brian

sudo

Post by sudo »

Good info Brian. Thanks.

So I guess laser photos are out of the question with the current setup? Can anyone from NWA give a definite answer?

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

From what I understand, the laser will burn a photo into the wood, bus it will be very shallow.
Once the photo is burned into the wood, you have to be careful to not sand it much, or you will sand it away.
Call Next Wave, They will talk you thru it.

Joseph Poirier

Post by Joseph Poirier »

Just pull down the software I wrote.. it generates a raster of most any image in under a minute.. no known size limit.

It is the fastest Laser raster file generator in the entire world!
& I bet it's easier to use than Paint Shop Pro by Jasc

http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... 0_Beta.exe
same code is in the old 3.0.. but this one has fourth Axis code included.

When you hit load file change the file type to any picture and have at it.
it does jpg and bitmap files.. but a few of the others listed were not actually available.

Best Regards, Joseph Poirier Sr. Software Engineer, Winspecs.com
Last edited by Joseph Poirier on Thu May 04, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rando

Post by Rando »

It's gonna be hyooge, the best the world has ever known.....
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)