How can I program a chamfer/angled cut

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

tpulley

How can I program a chamfer/angled cut

Post by tpulley »

I have been playing around with my new toy... err tool, the hd4 and I want to figure out how to program an angle or chamfer of varying widths.

For example, I drew out a viking battle axe today and then cut and then wrote some lasered script (I got my laser yesterday so I am testing that out). On the"cutting" edge of the faux blade I wanted to have say a 45 degree chanfer about 1/2 an inch long or so.

ANyone know how one could program that onto a tool path? Also I drew the perimeter of the battle axe in one vector, would I need to split that up? ... This would be for procarve 8.5...

Ideas?
Attachments
battleaxe.jpg
HD4 extended, Vcarve pro 8.5, 4th axis, Laser. Learning everyday...

sharkcutup

Re: How can I program a chamfer/angled cut

Post by sharkcutup »

Have you considered purchasing a 45 degree Chamfer Router Bit? I believe you will find that it would do the job nicely.

Of course you will have to pin your material with dowels to your table so that you can flip the material over on the dowels to put the chamfer neatly on the other side. That is of course if you want a double edge battle ax!

Have a GREAT Day!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

I had considered the forming tool and for this one (the battle axe) it did work. I was hoping to find a way though I could change the angle to anything I wanted for a determined length. So as another example, I wanted to make a wedge shape onto a flat shape. Like the axe, or something else. Seems like there should be a way to make this, just wondering if anyone knew how to accomplish it.

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

Hmmm. JUst had an idea... I wondered if I could open one of the tap files and edit it. Looks like I can. Sooo.. If I can determine where at on the outline tool I am I could create a tool path to do what I wanted. It would be specific to the one cut. I think I can figure this out, but it sure seems there would be an "easier" way.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

You could also try the fluting toolpath at various depths along with a ball nose bit or end mill. A little more complicated but can be done!

Unless you know a lot about tap files I personally would not attempt to mess with one. Could actually create a mess if you are not knowledgeable of tap files. More headaches, possible cnc damage, ---shall I say more.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

You can edit the tap file directly, but I don't think it'll be as simple as you're thinking. You're better off using the VCarve/Aspire tools available to you.

For instance, there's the chamfering gadget available:
http://gadgets.vectric.com/chamfer.html

If I wanted to chamfer a single edge, I'd use a form tool (V bit) or see if the gadget will do what you want with an end mill or modify the gadget so it works on an open vector.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If the version of Vcarve you have has the Moulding toolpath (on the toolpath side) it can be used to create any chamfer angle using a ball nose bit. You simple draw a vector that slopes down at the angle you want (essentially a side view of the chamfer) and pick a line for that "shape" to be extruded.
30 and 40 degree chamfers.jpg
4D
Attachments
Moulding Chamfers.crv
(63 KiB) Downloaded 478 times

tpulley

Post by tpulley »

Ah ha.. I do believe that is what I had in mind. I really didn;t want another tool change if I could manage to do it with a tool already in place. By selecting the angle this should accomplish what I set out to do.

Thank you Mr D. :-)