How to get AutoDesk Inventor to work with Vcarve pro?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Noeperez1348

How to get AutoDesk Inventor to work with Vcarve pro?

Post by Noeperez1348 »

Hi there I purchased a cnc shark HD4 in January, set it up and began running projects right away with ease. I'm really loving it for the most part but I went to school for cnc operation/cad/3d Modeling and we learned to do our modeling on Autodesk Inventor but I'm finding out that it isn't really comparable with Vectric Vcarve Pro. Anyone else have this issue or have any solutions? Is Aspire really worth the upgrade? Ideally I'd like to find a way to use Inventor because that's what I'm most familiar with.

bill z

Re: How to get AutoDesk Inventor to work with Vcarve pro?

Post by bill z »

Noeperez1348,

Welcome to the Shark club!!

Some on the forum use Fusion360 and it creates GCode for the Shark. How much difference is Fusion360 form AutoDesk Inventor? Fusion 360 offers a free trial if you would like to experience the differences. As I understand, it is all about the GCode.

Vectric Aspire isn't in the same league as Fusion360 and I don't know about Autodesk, but it and VCarve work with the Sharks. The matter of worth it really depends on what you are planning to do and make with your Shark. If you will be mostly making 2D+ work but not really machines that move and depend on accuracy of adjacent parts, then VCarve is cost effective.

It is really a matter of what fits.

Hope some of this helps.

Noeperez1348

Post by Noeperez1348 »

So does Fusion 360 make the Gcode for the shark? AutoDesk Inventor is just used for doing 3D modeling and then you have to upload the file to another program like master cam to write the code. But what I want to try is make the 3D model on Inventor and then upload it to Vcarve which is my software that came with my Shark.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

Noeperez1348 wrote:So does Fusion 360 make the Gcode for the shark? AutoDesk Inventor is just used for doing 3D modeling and then you have to upload the file to another program like master cam to write the code. But what I want to try is make the 3D model on Inventor and then upload it to Vcarve which is my software that came with my Shark.
you can probably use the generic gcode post processor. Where to look: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-3 ... -p/5032332

Once you learn f360 it's really tough to go back to vcarve. The only reason I won't get rid of Aspire is that F360 like most big box programs can't handle mesh files (STLs) very well.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner