Virtual Zero

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kabbie

Virtual Zero

Post by Kabbie »

If I want to use virtual zero on a project, do I have to collect the five data points every time I run a new tool path? Is there a way to collect and store the virtual zero information for the project so that I can recall it for the next tool path?

TAW

Re: Virtual Zero

Post by TAW »

It will ask you if you like to used the last VZ settings and you answer accordingly.
If you did not change bits your z will still be set. if you are carving on a pocketed area your new tool path should have new start point (minus the amount you just took out of that area)
this is done in the text on text tool paths if your familiar or search post on it.
others on here may explain it better then I just did... good luck.

Kabbie

Post by Kabbie »

TAW wrote:It will ask you if you like to used the last VZ settings and you answer accordingly.
If you did not change bits your z will still be set. if you are carving on a pocketed area your new tool path should have new start point (minus the amount you just took out of that area)
this is done in the text on text tool paths if your familiar or search post on it.
others on here may explain it better then I just did... good luck.
I don't recall it asking if I want to use the last VZ settings. When I loaded the next tool path, it just asked if I wanted to use virtual zero. When I said yes, it went through the routine to collect all 5 points again. When did I miss it asking to use previous VZ?

Kabbie

Post by Kabbie »

I just made a discovery while looking over the manual. Looks like if I use the pendant to set virtual zero (instead of following the prompts on my laptop), I will have the option to use existing points. As I load each tool path into the CNC program on my laptop, it asks me if I want to use virtual zero and prompts me to collect the data points without asking if I want to use existing points. I'll give the pendant a try and see if that works better. I wonder if the CNC program will want to override the pendant settings. If it does, I suppose I can abandon the laptop and use the USB port on the pendant.

KevinO

Post by KevinO »

I have the same questions as Kabbie about using existing virtual zero data. I have an older Shark (i.e. no pendant) and am using V 2.1.26 control panel software. It seems that the program randomly asks if I want to use saved VZ data. I would like to use the existing points whenever I run multiple tool paths but I'm not always given that option, in fact most of the time it just takes off on its own and starts collecting new points.
What I have found though is if the cutter diameter is the same (like when I change from 0.062 downcut to 0.062 upcut), then it seems to ask if I want to use existing points. If I change cutter diameter from say 0.062 to 0.125, then it automatically starts collecting new points.
Bottom line is I haven't found any way either to force the program to use existing VZ settings (except for Z-axis of course) and so I waste a lot of time rechecking VZ most of the time when changing bits.