Touchplate Not Working

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Matt

Touchplate Not Working

Post by Matt »

I'm looking for some troubleshooting suggestions on a touchplate problem

I used the touchplate earlier today and now I can not get it to detect. I checked the wire and connections and all look in good repair and are making contact. The Virtual Zero process launches properly but when the plate is touched to the bit it does not stop.

Barry Anderson

Re: Touchplate Not Working

Post by Barry Anderson »

Matt, the times when my touchplate did the same thing, it was either not making good contact on the spindle, or I had partially unplugged the wire from the touchplate.

Barry
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I've had the plug end that goes into the plate break contact twice since I bought my Shark. Simple metal fatigue. Be sure and touch the plate to the bit before hitting OK to start the probe. Even that can fool you as the movement may temporarily make contact inside the plug end.

Jim@HeirloomTable

Post by Jim@HeirloomTable »

Our machine's plate stopped detecting, turned out the small wire leading to the magnet had been pulled out of the heat shrink tube on the larger wire end. Next Wave sells replacement cords, about $32 - problem solved, and they have longer heat shrink on the new ones.
Jim Creighton, Partner
Heirloom Table Home, Hopkinsville, KY

tradewinds

Post by tradewinds »

Late response but it may help someone searching the forum to resolve a similar problem.

I encountered the same problem and contacted NextWave, Russ' answer follows below:

"It's possible that the cable wire broke a connection. If you have a volt/ohm meter the two parts of the headphone jack should have continuity when the magnet touches the plate."

It was in fact a break in the wire that was causing the problem. The suggestion above makes it pretty clear if it is a hardware or software issue.

If you need a new wire it can be purchased from NextWave here: http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop ... ?itemid=82