New to CNC world

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ReidCDe65

New to CNC world

Post by ReidCDe65 »

Hello all,
I jumped in the CNC world, bought the HD4 Extended. Got it set up [so I think] and decided to try it out with an out of the box project that Vetric has available. The only think I changed in the design was the material thickness (had some scrap material that was 11/16"). Recalculated the toolpaths, moved them to the thumbdrive. Turned on the HD4, set the starting point, set the Z with the touchplate. Selected the 1st toolpath and hit the go button. The machine went where it was supposed to and started cutting. It cut a micro version [Project dimensions are 9" X 8.5, the program/machine produced a 3/8" x 1/2"] of the project and I cant figure out why or where to go to adjust settings to produce the full sized version. Any help willl be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Reid

Kayvon

Re: New to CNC world

Post by Kayvon »

Project dimensions are 9" X 8.5, the program/machine produced a 3/8" x 1/2"
Sounds like VCarve may be set to mm instead of inches. 9mm x 8.5mm is about 3/8" x 3/8". Make sure your design file is using inches.

A quick note at some frequent misinformation I see in this forum: This is not a post-processor problem. You can choose either a mm or in. postprocessor and get the exact same size and result. The only difference is the unit the post-processor uses to generate g-code and it does the conversions itself.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

pp.JPG
(11.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Make sure you have the right post processor.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

tonydude wrote:
pp.JPG
Make sure you have the right post processor.
A quick note at some frequent misinformation I see in this forum: This is not a post-processor problem. You can choose either a mm or in. postprocessor and get the exact same size and result. The only difference is the unit the post-processor uses to generate g-code and it does the conversions itself.

You can select either the inches or mm postprocessor and get the same result. Here's a simple experiment to prove that, in case you don't believe the documentation:
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p29037

ReidCDe65

Post by ReidCDe65 »

@Kavon @tonydude,
Thank you for the info, sorry for the late response, traveling for work.
It boiled down to selecting a different post processor.
I had saved the toolpaths using "G Code (inch) (*.tap)", I changed to "CNCShark-USB Arcs (inch) (*.tap)" and it worked like a champ.
As I stated in my post, I'm new to the CNC world and just about everything related to it is a new venture to me. I really appreciate your advice, I'm looking forward what the future has in store.
Reid

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I had saved the toolpaths using "G Code (inch) (*.tap)", I changed to "CNCShark-USB Arcs (inch) (*.tap)
This is the part where I get to eat my words. ;)

I'm glad you got it figured out. tonydude was right in suspecting the post processor. I said the post processor didn't matter, but what I meant (and didn't say) was that which Shark post processor you used didn't matter. If you weren't using a Shark post-processor, then that would explain the problems.

Dannyboi7

Post by Dannyboi7 »

Im thoroughly boggled. Im new to forums so ive been going crazy trying tofigure out how to make a post. Im new to cnc machines and am trying to figure out everything. I have a Shark hdh and my question to anyone that can help is... How to use a dxf file ? google didnt help with converting to a crv file so now im stuck. Dan

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

You don't convert a dxf file! You just bring it into Vcarve and work with it there.
I usually just drag it from the desktop into my project.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Hi Danny,
Look at these tutorials to help you. http://support.vectric.com/training-material

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.