Overriding Z axis in the controller?

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pwoolson

Overriding Z axis in the controller?

Post by pwoolson »

Hello all. Brand new here. I've recently bough a used HD3. The machine is a decent beginner machine but I've already outgrown the capabilities of it due to the extreme flex in the XZ axes. So I bought a new Z "gantry" from open builds which is a wonderful system. Got it all built and wired and found that the Z moves exactly 1.25" when I jog it 1". I'm 100% sure it's due to the lead screw being a different pitch. But I have no idea where I can adjust for that. (I'm more mechanical and less electronic) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Oh to my "less electronic" comment: You'll need to talk to me like I'm a third grader in terms of the software, etc)
Thanks, Paul

Rando

Re: Overriding Z axis in the controller?

Post by Rando »

If you have the old silver box and using the original control panel software, type Ctrl-G, and then 787 for the password.
The VERY long number that is in there must be that precise. The native resolution of 200 pulses per revolution at 0.5" travel
per revolution (four starts, 8 Thread per inch), or 12.70mm yields 0.06350 mm per step, or 15.748031496063 steps / mm
at full-steps. The UI says it's ten times that, so maybe it's really steps per centimeter and the UI has it wrong. It would be
unusual for a non-servo motor to somehow a 10x micro-stepping. I'll leave it to you to calculate to your new installation.

On the newer controllers, getting directly to those values is either a LOT more difficult, or just not feasible. The usual method
is to input a "product ID" number like 4003 or 4004 into the pendant to get the Z-axis working right. My guess is NWA did
that to keep us reusing our software license and controller on non-NWA hardware setups. Scurvy Dogs! :lol:

Would love to see pictures of the build.

Regards,

Rando
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)