Lines Ignored

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

OSJ

Lines Ignored

Post by OSJ »

Hey All,

Just got a good deal on an older shark, still not 100% sure what model. But I picked up the Shark Hd controller and pendant upgrade straight from the factory since I work very near where these things are built.
Plugged everything in, I can jog all the axes and set zeroes easy enough. It also ran one of the demo programs from V-Carve just fine (just the first part of it since my zeroes and tool were wrong for the program so I stopped it before something stupid would happen). But here is my problem. I tried running a program from Easel, which it loaded fine but ignored every line of code even after re-formatting it to match the code from V-Carve. I also wrote some Gcode manually, same thing, it ignores every line. My only clue so far is that the pendant displays the V-Carve program as you see it on the computer, but the others the lines are in series as opposed to in a row. When opened in notepad they appear identical.

eg correct

G01 XYZ
G01 XYZ
G01 XYZ

vs incorrect

G01XYZG01XYZG01XYZ

Any obvious formatting Issues I might be missing.

Also my controller and my servos run very hot even when the machine is idle, is this normal?

OSJ

Re: Lines Ignored

Post by OSJ »

Well I figured it out kind of.
If you want to use Easel or code your own, this worked for me. Once you have your drawing and tool paths ready go to Machine -> General settings, then click download g-code.
This will download "Drawing.nc" (drawing will be whatever you called it). Then go to your downloads folder -> right click -> open with -> Microsoft office Word.
Save it as a .txt file, a window should pop up talking about file conversons. Use the windows default settings, in the preview box a square will appear before each line of code.
Save it, then change the file extension to .tap -> stick it on a flash drive -> run it. This has worked for me.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Or, you could avoid Word altogether: double-click on My Computer (or This PC, or whatever they're calling it in your version of Windows). Navigate to downloads, select the .nc file, and then either right-click and choose Rename, or just press F2 to rename the file. Change the file extension to .tap, click OK when it complains, and you're done. If you're not going to edit the file contents, I recommend against editing it...especially in Word! If you really need to edit a .nc file, do so in notepad (a windows utility). Many people also use the freeware Notepad++
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

OSJ

Post by OSJ »

I am going to assume you misunderstood my original post or did not read it. If I only change the file extension, the machine loads it as gibberish and skips every line. If I use notepad or wordpad, same thing. I also tried open office, no dice. The only thing that seems to work for me is to open the file in Word, save as a .txt, then rename again as a .tap. from there works fine. Manually editing G-code is not difficult. I paid the bills writing code manually on 4 axis machines for a few years. Just keep good notes and write some excel scripts for the trickier calculations.