Scan Probe question (problem?)

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Messiah Guitars

Scan Probe question (problem?)

Post by Messiah Guitars »

Greetings all,
I'm in the middle of my first object scan (that is going to take a long time) and made an observation that I'm wondering is correct or not. My object is 1 3/4" tall, but I set my 0/0/0 at 2.0" to give a little lee-way. The probe started okay, reading down to the bed surface and moving back an forth. When it got to the edge of the object it started moving up and down as I would have expected and scanned into the object within an inch or so. Here is where the confusion starts: After getting into the object and inch or two the probe has raised up to zero (2.0" on the Z-axis) and is scanning back and forth without touch the object. It's been doing this for about an hour. The Control Panel seems to be showing the correct measurements so I don't see where any of the "zero's" might have shifted. Step sizes are set at .04" and 10 in./minute scan velocity.

Is this normal or do I have an anomaly here?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Chris
Last edited by Messiah Guitars on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Scan Probe question (problem?)

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Chris,

Is this the first use of the probe? I had a bit of a start up challenge and questions with mine. I actually ended up getting a replacement from Rockler as it turns out the first one was no good.

However, if it is your first use of the probe, there is a break in period of 30-60 minutes of use. If it still ends up in this state, it is probably defective. Some discussion on this can be found here http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=322.

Let us know how it goes for you and what you've learned as a result. Not a lot of posts on this topic.

Messiah Guitars

Thanks for the quick reply and link Joe!

I gave the probe a "baby-touch, light, sideways tap" and it instantly returned to the work surface and started scanning. It is indeed the first time I've used the probe (purchased in March)so I could see where the internal contacts, still not broken-in and sitting in the shipping box) might need a little bump for cleaning or whatever.
I hit the E-Stop, aborted my previous scan, reset to o/o/o and have started again. Has been working okay for a few minutes now. Looking forward to reading the rest of that link now (What did we do before internet in the shop?).

I'll keep a watch on her and report back my results.

Thanks again my friend!

Chris

Messiah Guitars

Well I kept having continued issues with my probe and talked with Rockler about swapping my probe out. It came in the mail and I was able to scan a small item quite easily. Rockler has been awesome. Also did some talking with Tim at NWA about other scan probe stuff and he was really nice and most helpful.

I am going to be swapping to Mach 3 for my probing functions though. The "side to side probe and drag" actions are a little unnerving for some of my projects and from what I've seen with videos of Mach 3 operating it does an "down, up and move over" action that will be a little more conducive to some of my projects. I'm scared to death of that expensive probe hanging on something and bending. I can see the advantages to both methods so it's nice to know I can just flip/flop firmware and do whatever fit's the bill best.

Anyone else using the Rockler/NWA probe with Mach 3?